Using kids to pass out flyers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Mar 26, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes or No? Anything wrong about hiring your nephew and a few of his friends and paying them $3.50 an hour to help you pass out flyers? The only thing I am really worried about is potential clients will not have their questions answered by a few 12 year old kids....then on the other hand...who would I be able to hire to pass out flyers that could answer questions they might have. I will be either in the car driving around and keeping an eye on them or will be passing some out myself. Either way I will be somewhat babysitting.

What do ya think?
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I think you are asking for an insurance nightmare. I dunno, I just see one of the kids slipping and falling off someones front stoop from horsing around with his 'friends' and then breaking an arm or something. I also wouldn't like the 'unprofessional' image it may give off by using a few 'kids' to do this type of work.

just an opinion.
  3. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Not really sure about it.

What happens when they meet up with a homeowner and your company is perceived as being run by kids?

Very cost effective though !
  4. ToroLover

ToroLover LawnSite Member

I think it's a good idea, cause we've done this before. My hubby paid my neice and nephew to pass out flyers, it sure helped him out a lot.
  5. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

My kids do it all the time....thats how they get their business in the neighborhood.

How many kids do you have or know of that make $300 a week in the summer ?

6. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

I only have kids delivery flyers. Usually high school kids, I wouldnt do any younger, unless I had a small mailing to do. I think the kids give off a better image to neighbors who are out and about. Do homeowners really want to see and old guy trampling through their yard? Not really but of course who is gonna hate the cute kid?

On the insurance note, we probably should check into it. I would check if the kid has medical insurance before I let them do it, but arent most children covered by the government?
    I am no lawyer, so this may be wrong but... from cases I have heard before, if someone gets injured on a homeowners property, it is the homehomeowners liability? Even though the homeowner had nothing to do with them being on the property, I believe the liability could fall on them. Can anyone clarify this for the sake of it?
    My bottom life, I am getting 10,000 flyers out for close to .10 a piece.
  7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Does that cover the print cost of the flyer....or just the delivery?
  8. Eho

Eho LawnSite Member

I think its a good idea. My 13 year old cousin was in town for spring break and I put him to work with my flyers....I told him if anybody talks to him just tell him that its his cousins company and talk to him
  9. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yeah...pretty much what I am going to do. I have only 4 jobs tomorrow that will take a couple hours each....going to take the nephew with me just for half a day...kind of a trial to speak
  10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

my wife is going to drive and have our kids run door to door hanging every day next week or until approx. 5000 are on doors, thats my own kids and my niece and nephew. I have no problem with it, I pay them, they make money on spring break and I hopefully get a lot more work. kids are ready and raring to go too. ( amazing in its own way) we have our areas mapped and planned to hit, if a potential client ask questions the kids all have the response memorized, " we are doing this for our dad, he works really hard and does a real nice job, if you would like more information call him at that number and he will be glade to answer any questions you may have." :D