using ladders for tree work

Discussion in 'Tree Service Safety' started by murphy4trees, Mar 3, 2013.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees LawnSite Member

2. ryan5943

ryan5943 LawnSite Member

Link doesn't work for me
  3. ygim

ygim LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't work
  4. murphy4trees

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if you are doing that kind of tree work you need a bucket truck not a ladder.

...or you need to be one of those guys that climbs the tree and cuts it as he works his way down with proper climbing gear.

as for those guys cutting the limbs where their ladder is propped up? i'm lost for words.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  6. murphy4trees

I'll keep that in mind...

7. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

That (not trying to be offensive) was very retarted on their part, not thinking the tree could come back at them. I started laughing when it said the part where people were resting the ladder where they were cutting, wouldn't you think "oh I should cut that branch, get chin saw, rest ladder an tree where I'm cutting wait what....AHAHAHAHAHa..........DEAD." "man killed this morning when ladder feel from part of the tree he was cutting, the branch broke free, so did the ladder and after the concussion on the ground he was impailed and carved by his still running chainsaw bought at walmart!"
  8. 7.3 Rocket

7.3 Rocket LawnSite Member
    from CT

Ladders are for trimming hedges past that climb or get a bucket. If you don't climb or don't have a bucket hire someone who does.

Beyond which don't climb unless you've been properly trained. There's far too much that can go wrong far too quickly.
  9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I enjoyed the video and learned a few things. I don't have any professional tree cutting experience and don't have any aspirations to get any. But I am a long time professional firefighter and rope rescue technician so I'm comfortable with heights and saws and watched you using many of the same techniques I've used cutting and limbing on my own property. Most are just common sense, like being aware of what will happen when a cut is made and not taking off large unmanageable pieces. I like the idea of tying off the tip of the ladder (like we often do in the fire service) but leaving some slack to allow for limb movement. I think with some caution and common sense DIYers like me can do a lot but everyone needs to know their limits. I've got a couple of cottonwoods next to my house that need to come down but I'm not messing with them, I'll just call my tree guy.
  10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

What would your insurance agent say,your not covered for tree work if you fall.