1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

using large rolls of sod w/ bobcat

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JML, Sep 9, 2001.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone used the large rolls of sod that you put on the attachment and then roll out with the skidsteer. how does it work and how efficient is it? thanks

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We use a big roll machine from our dealer, we get two of them on the larger jobs. The problem with a bobcat is the ruts it puts in the nice grading job we just did!
  3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Yes we have a attachment for our Bobcat ... looks like a big spike that moves by hydraulics out to the side after you pick up the roll.. you simply lower the roll and move forward getting as tight as you can to the other roll... you usually need a couple of hands on the ground pulling it in tight . The more practise and depending on the area , the better and faster you get.. Like Paul said.. at times it can make a mess of the grade and you need manpower with rakes fixing as you go.
    how efficient is it... hmm... we don't use it that much but last time I used it I think I put down around 100 rolls in the day... some of it was fairly dificult, being on a slope.
  4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

My sod supplier cuts and lays quite a bit of big roll - they've told me that there's a learning curve to laying it, and that you'll be disappointed the first time you lay it, but after a few projects, it gets to be much faster than sq yard rolls.

I've never used it. They also told me most residential jobs in this area, approx 10,000 sqft, do not see a time benefit from using big roll. They said 1/2 acre is their cutoff point.

Kris, I don't know if this will help you, but when you say 'hands', do you mean people on hands and knees pulling seams together? I've watched my supplier/grower lay it, and they have two guys follow behind with grade rakes - they just grab hold of the sod with the rake and pull to butt the seams together.

They also use the big roll machine, not the attachment for a skid loader. Looks like a humungous TP dispenser to me!