1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using leaf loader to move wood mulch

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Gretzmier, Apr 19, 2002.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Gonna post this one in landscape too...

Hey all you lawn engineers!
    I am curious if anyone out there has tried to use a large leaf loader for a mulch mover. I am wondering if the ones that are tailgate mounted- in the 16-18 horse varieties or towable in the 22-35 horse versions would be able to suck bulk wood mulch thought their intake hoses at street or driveway ( I think they could do this ) and blow it through a 4 or 6" wire reinforced plastic leaf loader hose. ( this is the part I am not sure about.) how far would it push mulch through the hose ? 25 ft, or maybe 100ft? the reason I ask is I cannot justify one of the $20,000++ Finn bark blowers and the trailer model seems inadequate at holdiing 6 yards anyway. they are however able to blow through 150 and 200ft of
    4" hose. a $3000 leaf loader with $1000 in hose/brackets and mods seems doable though, if it would work, and we could of course use it for leaves. any one tried this or have any thoughts?
    Dave g
  2. David Gretzmier

30 views, no replies... come on guys...
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't tried it but had thoughts about it... like you.

How 'bout you go buy one and give it a whirl.. then come back and tell us about it :D
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I would make sure I bought the leaf loader from a Dealer with a good return and warranty record then give it a try....
  5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Dave,
    Does that mean that I could use a bark blower to suck up leaves??? LOL.
    Don't do it man. You'll screw up your machine. Either sub the work, or just get your crews to work more efficiently.

6. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

Hey, your not the first to think of this. A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine had the same idea. He is going to try it as soon as the grass slows down a little. He plans to use bulk mini bark. I can't wait to see how it works. It would be a two man operation.
  7. David Gretzmier

If you look at a serious trailer muonted leaf loader, I'd think you would agree that it could handle mulch. the specs on the landscaper supply version is 1/2"plate on the fan and housing. one could argue that mulch is cleaner than leaves. some loaders claim to pickup trash in parking areas with no damage. mark 2-Keep me informed if your buddy tries this. I'd like to rent one locally and give it a shot w/ cheap 4" ads hose, a 6 or 8" to 4" adapter, but I am pretty sure the ribs in ads drain pipe would slow down airflow. further, they don't rent them around here. perhaps the double wall stuff ( slick inside) would work if I could find it in 4". Dave g
  8. Whalen Landscape Svc

Whalen Landscape Svc Guest

Dont waste your time i must say I did with a billy goat 16 hp...It didn't work..
  9. mark2

mark2 LawnSite Member

I'll try to keep you informed. We thought about the ADS also. He plans to try 4" solid pipe with the ribbed insides first.
    If it works, I hope to purchase a vac (blower) for myself. Even if i I have to start using the really fine mulch.
    By the way, I haven't done a search on this topic but, do you think course or fine mulch stays in place better during heavy rain.