using Lime on a yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dodgeboy, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Dodgeboy

Dodgeboy LawnSite Member

I mow a few lawns and have a little old lady who wants her lawn limed? I dont know if now is a good time of year to put lime on a yard or not? The lawn looks decent but needs something to make it a little greener. It does have a few brown spots in it. I have just started mowing her lawn this spring. She said the guy before use to lime it once a year. If you could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. I have been mowing lawns since I was 13. I am 25 now. I just mowed lawns and never used fertlizers or lime. I have been thinking of starting my own lawn care/landscaping business. Just afraid of not being able to make it. Guess I will never know till I at least give it a try. Thanks

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

How about a soil sample first,or else your just taking a shot in the dark.

3. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in Pittsburgh which is just about 45 min. from the WV border. So we are in the same basic lawn region. I have customers that insist on having lime applied every year, and refuse to have a PH test done. There is a lot of clay in our area which is supposedly high in acidity. Lime can reduce this. But still you need a PH test done to determine exactly how much lime to use. Recomend a PH test to her. Most large garden centers can do this for you. If she refuses to go through the hassle, just give her a minimal dosage of pelitized lime. No more than 50lbs per 1000sqft. explain to her that you should not use more than that without the appropriate testing.

4. Dodgeboy

Dodgeboy LawnSite Member

Thanks, I will recommend a PH test to her. She is 84 so she is hard to get along with sometimes.:) If she doesnt want to have one done. I will just put down some pelitized lime. Thanks again.

5. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

If she doesn't want one done ,i wouldn't put down any at all.you are wasteing her $ an your time .By not putting down any is the same as not puttin down enuf.your pissing in the wind until you know how much.i've had samples pulled an have put down as much as 1200lbs on a 10k lawn before .I know that dounds like a lot but it got it up to par.(it was 5.2ph).just a lil friendly advise.

6. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Rule of thumb out of Rutgers University which does a great deal with turfgrasses and conducts trials for growers every year.

Always test before you apply.

Determine if you need dolomitic or calcitic lime.

Apply no more then 50 lbs per 1000 per application. If the test calls for more split application 6 months apart.

Understand that changing soil ph is a long term process. Lime does not work like fertilizer, ie put it down today its green in two weeks. It takes months before the lime breaks down to start changing the ph of the soil. If her lawn needs somethign to green it up then fertilize it, as you'll get results much faster. However, proper ph makes everything else u apply more effective sooo dont dismiss it as unnecessary.

CMerLand

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

A soil test is a must in my opinion.

I could see me calling my pool guy....."hey Bobby, could you come over and add chlorine and calcium to my pool? What's that, test the water, no thanks just add chemicals until you think it's right." He would not do it and neither should you!

8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

If she doesn't want the to have a test you can always put some ironite down. Then you won't have to worry about burining the lawn like you would have to with the lime. I would have a test done though.

Good Luck.