Using Mantis or Honda FG110 for dethatching and aerating.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by yungman, Mar 23, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I need opinion very quick. I have already order the Honda FG110 but I want to get last minute advice.

I have a 3000sqft front yard and on the way fixing up the back which will give about 6000sqft. I am buying a Honda FG110 with slit aerate tine and dethatcher tine. I saw video on U tube of person using Mantis to dethatch, it looked easy enough and fast enough. My only question is whether I should go with the Mantis Honda because the gear ratio is 42:1 vs Honda 35:1. Mantis should be stronger but slower which is OK.

Anyone use this little cultivator for dethatching and aerating, please tell me your experience.

2. grasscrabber

grasscrabber LawnSite Member

I've got a Mantis tiller with both the Dethatcher and Aerator Attachments. I've used the Aerator only once or twice. I'm not a big fan of it because it is not heavy enough to make the tines penetrate very deeply and its also possible to rev the heck out of the Mantis and basically start cultivating the soil. I would rent a core aerator rather than use the Mantis Aerator attachment.The Dethatcher is not bad and I will keep using it. I used it last summer on my Bermudagrass backyard and it did the job. I had a lot of thatch and I went over the backyard twice (once vertically and once horizontally). I haven't used the Honda tiller but I am also curious on how it compares to the Mantis.