1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Using mapping software (google earth) to give estimates?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Feb 13, 2011.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Anybody ever try using google earth or similar software for figuring square footage for estimates? We have a local county website that allows you to pull up properties and outline them to get square footage. I wouldn't suggest it for mowing, but it might work for other services like aerate and chem apps since those services are pretty much based off square footage alone. It might be useful for wide area mowing.

I don't think I would give an estimate over the phone with this information, but it might be useful to get a general idea of what you are working with.

What do you think?

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Not a bad idea

3. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, It works pretty well. You have to upgrade though to google earth pro

4. walker-talker

from Midwest

What does that cost?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. phillie

It's like 300-400'bucks.. Cheaper than going with other software but still kinda expensive
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yeah...I just checked it out.....$399....a little high. I used my county software, which is much slower moving from property to property, but when I used the measure tool on properties that I have already measured with the wheel, I came very close. All were within 500 sq feet. Had one within 10 sq ft and another within 30 sq ft. Good enough for me...and it's free.

7. phillie

Hmm, I wonder if there is a site for my county like that.. I have used measureanythingfromspace.com but it kinda frustrates me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ted at HindSite

Ted at HindSite Inactive

9. Ted at HindSite

Ted at HindSite Inactive

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.findlotsize.com/

Is a free site that I have used. It might not be as actuate as some of the pay sites, But it is close enough for me.

I recently used it on a very broken up Common Ground Bid. I already Knew the area so it was only measuring that I wanted help with. I measured Wide and came in a half an acre over the HOA blue prints of the 25 acres.