Using mapping software (google earth) to give estimates?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Feb 13, 2011.

1. phillie

phillie LawnSite Senior Member

Ric, that site got me pretty close to what goilawn said my lawn was. Only thing is for some reason goilawn is better with the trees being in the way

2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I use google earth all the time for measuring parking lots. The measuring tools is pretty balls accurate. Very rarely do i take the wheel out anymore.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am guessing you have the pro version? If so, does that version outline zip codes in your area? Also, does that $400 for the pro version last a lifetime or do you have to pay for updates?.....or is that $400 for a year?

Thanks
    Matt

4. walker-talker

from Midwest

Wow...I just looked and that is per year....hmmmm....think I'll pass. But, I think I will check out the free trial...when I get time.

5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I think it would be a nice tool but I need to meet and talk with customer's person to person.

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

Oh definitely. I would think of trying to make the sale over the phone or via email. I got a call a few days ago about a HOA. I used my local county software to figure what kind of sq ft I was dealing with and came up with a "rough" estimate. I met with the lady yesterday to look at the property. My orginal estimate was $395. After looking at the property, I dropped it down to $375....so I was real close. Didn't see some trees, but over-estimated the mowing in a couple areas.

I also got a call from an existing mowing customer and she wanted an estimate for chem apps and fert. I was able to measure it online, give her a call back and she agreed to the price. I would of had to drive 15 miles round trip to give her that estimate if I had to use my measuring wheel.

So I think it does have it's place in your tool box, but I don't know about $400 a year. What I was using is free. It's just the county website that allows you to pull up zoning and maping.

7. PROCUT1

from TN

I use the free version

I have compared it with using the wheel and it's very very close. The measuring tool itself is 100 percent accurate. As long as you click the points on the screen accurately
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

Ya know, I thought the free version had a measuring tool on it, but I'll be darned if I can find it.

9. PROCUT1

from TN

On the top toolbar click the little ruler next to the envelope

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Yeah...I had tried that awhile back, but I can only get it to measure linear feet. I need to get it to enclose the area and compute square feet....how does that happen?