1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Using mapping software (google earth) to give estimates?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by walker-talker, Feb 13, 2011.

1. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

This was more clear than your PM

No it doesnt do that

2. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

With basic google earth, just use their ruler to measure lines and do your own multiplication for area.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My county's website is much easier than that, but the satellite images are not as clean, but very do-able. I got one with 10 sq ft and another within 30 sg ft. I think the worst was within 500 sq ft...and I might of rushed that one.

4. HighSpeed

HighSpeed LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

If anybody here has a droid, check out "Maps Ruler". I have checked accuracy in miles while driving from point A to point B. Haven't really tried it in feet yet. You can use the gps on the phone and walk the area, or you can go to a specific spot and measure. I assume though, this uses the same images and probably tools as google earth.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Then there's this problem of distinguishing tree canopy from turf, looking straight down from the sky.
    goIlawn is much more accurate in winter months when there's no deciduous foliage to shroud grass that could be lying underneath.

6. organiclawncanada

organiclawncanada LawnSite Member

Tried quite a few and still can't find a great free one.

7. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

i just use zillow.com

it gives you the lot size plus the sq footage of the home, so you are able to gain a pretty good understanding of the actual surface area of the property you will be cutting

8. GW Andy

GW Andy LawnSite Member

You should check out freemaptools.com go to the area calculator. You drop points around the prop like the paid sites but its free! I usually un-click the show markers because the get in the way on small properties. Start dropping points along the drive and around the house then go around the lot line. This gives you a very accurate sq. ft. or acres ( MORE ACCURATE THAN WHEELS) in one measurement. It works good on the new samsung 10.1 tablet with the stylus pen.

9. nightshutter

nightshutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from UT

I use the free version of google earth with the measuring tool. Then I manually times length and width to get square footage. really only good for open areas. I just did a bid on a commercial property with tons of trees and shrubs that make it difficult to see the grass areas. It has its pros and cons. I still find sometimes it still good to walk the property

10. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone who has an ipad should check out the app "measure it"