1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using Oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHAN, Apr 3, 2003.

1. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

I have a 61 TT with a 27 Kaw. LC w/720 hrs. on it. I change oil at 700 hr. had not had to add any from last change. Now in a day i have to add from 1/2 to 1 quart which is about 4-6 hr. run time. I use the 30 mobile one syn. and have from the start. I have a 25 Koler that runs the same and have not had to add to it. No leaks, No smoke, No fouled plugs and has a new oil and air filter and it is clean. If you have had this problem or have any idears please post for I am puzzeled by this.
  2. I don't know about your engine in particular. But I run synthetic oil in 6 different engines. An engine will loose synthetic much quicker than standard oil. Especially if they're a little worn. I've had some I could not use synthetic oil in because of excessive oil loss.

Mobile 1 has energy conserving friction modifiers in it to make it slicker. I only run Mobile 1 in my car because it calls for energy conserving oil in the owners manual.
    Everything else gets Rotella T synthetic. I get it at Wal-Mart too. It's a diesel synthetic. I even run it in my motorcycle. The wet clutches in a motorcycle can't work with friction modifiers because it makes them too slick to grab.
    If you stick with synthetic, you might try the Rotella.
    Let us know what you do and how it works out for you.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sure you checked this, but you are checking the dipstick correctly, right?

I realize you've changed oil in this about 14 times, but....

I always check my oil in the morning when it all has a chance to settle in the sump.

You may have a serious problem, but without smoke and no leaks, where is it going? If it was a bad ring, you'd see smoke under load, if its a valve seal, you'd see it when you idle it down from high speed.

Is power still good?

Just when did you start using the Mobil-1, hopefully you used dino oil for a few hundred hours to let the rings seat and break in.

I use 10-30 Mobil-1 in my 27hp and it still doesn't use any significant amount between changes.

Good luck
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Rotella T synthetic

I bought a bunch of this oil when walmart had it on sale, I use it in mr L300DT Kubota, and am goig to use it in my mowers, with Kaw 23, and Briggs and a Kohlor, will see how it works. Its 5-40 should cover just about everthing.

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

The oil has to be going somewhere? Either in the cylinder or on the ground. Is the engine smoking? If so, maybe rings stuck or a speck of carbon got between the valve seals. It shouldnt need an ovehaul with that many hours, especially since you do routine maint. Look for oil leaks too. Possibly the main seal under the motor is leaking. The oil could run on to the pulley and fling around, making it hard to see a specific drip. Good luck.
  6. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

I started using the mobile one syn. after the 150 hr. oil change. Like I said in the post this only started after the last oil change. It did not do it on the last oil that was in the engine and the koler is fine not had to add to it yet. ran 6 hr. today and added a pint at after lunch and checked it when I got in and it was about another pint low. That would be a qt. in 6 hr. run time. I have not seen any smoke and my son said he does not see any smoke while running. I dont know got to see if I can get intouch with Kaw. and see if they have any idears and I will post what i find. Just thought someone might of had this problem with there 27 LC. Kaw.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The amount of oil its using is consistent with a blown head gasket,but you have no smoke,and no low power right? dont make any sense. Id throw a compression tester in each cyl,see what you get. My 2000 25hp has a whopping 187PSI on the left cyl,and 189PSi on the right. .if you blew a gasket the compression on the bad cyl will be a LOT lower than the good one. With 700Hrs and Mobil 1 oil the engien should be in good condition unless you ran with dirty air filters,but it sounds like you are up on the maintance.
  8. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

these are a couple of things i would check. first the filter. if too tight they leak. my kohler has an oil cooler. the little clips that they put on the hoses wore out and really started leaking bad. i put on worm clamps. much better now. if not those things you need to find where the oil is going it will show you the problem!! good luck