using one oil brand

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by sadler inc., Feb 25, 2013.

1. sadler inc.

sadler inc. LawnSite Member
    from loo, ia

I am just curious what you guys run in in your pickups, dump trucks, and skids/mini hoes for oil(brand, viscosity, regular, semi-synthetic, or synthetic). I am getting tired of having 10 different brand lube bottles all over the shop:dizzy:. Im also torn between synthetic and regular oils. I have a hard time going past the manufacturers service intervals anyway and the only reason i have used synthetics in the past is because of the low temp pump-ability. It gets cold here in Iowa (very cold). What do you fellas run in your trucks and equipment? do you try to purchase everything from the same manufacturer as much as possible? Its seems as though i have an obsession with trying to find a single lube manufacturer that is "fleet affordable" and premium quality. if anyone reads this that is from iowa, have you had experience with northland oil co? All replies appreciated.

Thanks
    E Sadler

2. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Shell Rotella 15W-40 in all equipment and diesel trucks, Mobil 1 in the gas vehicles. Sam's Club here sells both a little cheaper than auto parts stores.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Sadler on gas engines Mobil 1 synthetic . on diesel rottela synthetic:waving:

4. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

I usually go with Shell Rotella in the diesels. However, NAPA has their brand 15w-40 on sell for $9.99/gallon and the International takes about 7 gallons, so, I may try that this time around.

5. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Mobile one synthetic in iowa also works fine for me.

6. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

In diesel, I run Shell rotella but just tried Napa premium 15w40 which was on sale and had all the classifications. so far, it has been good.
    I also like Napa gold filters.

7. Krafty

Krafty LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from St. Louis MO

Rotella 15-40 call me crazy but I run it everything gas and diesel have done it for years and have never had an ounce of trouble, and I run all my trucks well over 250k miles...

8. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

You can buy a 55 gallon drum and it saves you some money. You have too get a pump and a pouring can but in the long run it makes things easier.
    As far as synthetic? in a diesel I think it is a waste due too not being able too extend oil change intervals due too contamination.
    Brand? no way too prove one is better than the other. If it has the same cert it will be equal in ability.

Gas engines I use Mobil synthetic with oil change intervals in the 15k mile range. Have multiple vehicles with 300k plus miles and no problems. Even had the oil tested with 15k miles on it. It still tested better than requirments for new oil.