using other people's leaves?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by whitenack, Nov 7, 2005.

1. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

I live in a neighborhood with a ton of mature trees. There is a lot of leaf drop going on now, and therefore a lot of lawn raking.

I was wondering if it would be beneficial to grab the bags of leaves from my neighbors, take it down to my house and use those leaves as mulch?

I have a lot of mulching to do, and I was wondering if this would be an economical way to do it.

2. used to have a customer , after we picked them up with the mowers he would run them back through a grinder to use around tree's and rose's, they looked good.
  3. whitenack

whitenack LawnSite Member

Another thought I had:

My parents live on a cattle farm. In the winter, we feed the cattle hay in the same spot year after year. Over time, a mixture of mud, hay and manure is built up around these sites.

Would this stuff be good for anything?
  4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Leaves will decompose rather rapidly and so they work better for compost material than for mulching. Better mulching material would have a higher carbon content, such as straw, pine needles, and of course good ol' bark.

A layer of straw or pine needles covering less hardy plants can save them during the winter, leaves on the other hand - depending upon how much rain you get - could turn to mush before too long. And, most plants that stay wet are more prone to disease.

You could however make wonderful compost material for your plants with just your own leaves and the hay/manure from your parents farm... especially if you could shred all of this.
  5. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Every year I put out a sign "bagged leaves wanted". It brings in a couple of hundred bags a year that I run through a shredder and topdress with till I run out. It saves the homeowners from paying tipping fees to get rid of 'em, and give me some good organic topdressing. Win-win.
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I have a garden at my house and i take the leaves after they have gone through the mower, spread them on top and till them in each week. As said above, it decomposes very quickly and adds nutrients to the soil for next year. Oh, and saves my dad and i a dump trip.

Just my .02
  7. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

need some more leaves mike? i got plenty.
  8. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member