Using Our Scag Walk-Behind For Snow Removal

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AB Lawn Care, Apr 10, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Sevral times I have mentioned that we have used our Scag walk-behind for snow removal.Almost every time someone will ask a question about that.I thought that I would let all of you guys know what I think.First off we own a 1999 scag 14hp kohler dual hydro.I know that many of you don't like kohlers and suggest the kawasaki,I chose the kohler becouse I have been told that the kawasaki are hard to start in the cold and plus we have a good parts supply for kohler in our area.What ever you do don't expect to use you walk-behinds for snow if their gear driven.Only dual hydro will cut it!We had great success with or scag.We use a 44' blade.The blade is in after market product.Their made by a company called RAD technologys in montreal.That company makes blades and blowers for Walkers and exmarks.They make the blade a blower and a sweeper.We bought both a blade and a sweeper.It uses the quick attach system.I first got the idea when we had a early snow in november.We were totaly surprised by it,We were still doing fall clean-ups.We got about half a foot of wet snow and while we were trying to get our machines set up for blowing we had to move our scag through the snow.We still had the 36'' deck.I started it up and thought I would just get it stuck becouse our walkers were geting stuck with their decks still on.I was amazed how it was plowing throuht the snow with a deck on and worn-out turf tires on!!!!We even cleard our back yard with it so we could move our Walkers.This got us thinking!We soon decied to purchase the blade and the sweeper.We put snow hog tires on it and we worked it with our walker with a 36'' snow thrower.It has worked awsome for us.One guy will go up the driveway with the Scag and push the snow over and the walker will follow and blow the now larger pile of snow.We even had a large parking lot late in the winter that had no one in to plow the lot all winter and they had drove over it and packed it down like ice.The hole paking lot had about 4'' of packed rock hard snow.We brought in our scag and thanks to the blade scraped it up no problem and we blew the chunks away with the walker.If anyone has any question about this let me know!We have started using our scag with the sweeper for our spring clean-ups and it workes great too!Any questions?????????<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, does RAD have a website?

3. snow

snow Guest

do you have any pictures of the walker and scag in action?<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Adam, I just picked up two sweepers at an auction sale. The one is a Parker sweeper that was on the front of a kubota, the other looks like it is the same as the one off of a Walker with the triangle nose on it. It is different than the one in the Walker ads, it has two adjustable wheels on the front for height adjustment. It is made by Ber-Vac, have you ever heard of them? I'm going to make it fit the Walker but was wondering where I could get a new brush when I need one. I am going to make a pull behind out of the other one, can't have too many toys.

5. cantoo wrote:<p>&gt;I just picked up two sweepers at an auction <p>Do the use a lot of cinders for traction control products in your<br>neck of the woods?<br>

6. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

Richard Martin-I have serched in the past for a RAD web site and was unable to find one.This company sells their products to scag,exmark,walker and I think others like bob-cat to sell to there clients.If you call scag you should be able to get some info_Or try their web-site......sorry I don't know that either!As far as I know they make the 44'' blade,44'' snow thrower and 44'' sweeper.I can tell you that I have have no problems with either the sweeper or blade.They work awsome!Hope this helps!<p>Snow-Sorry I don't!I wish I did!If I had any I would make them avalible to everyone.Trust me if they saw how much wet heavy snow we can plow they would think twice about setting their own walk-behinds for the snow season!Maby next year I will take some snap shots of it in action!That would be awsome!<p>If anyone has any other questions just ask!!!!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Stone, we get snow by the foot so we don't use traction control products other than road salt and only after removing all snow first. Sifto Salt is about 20 miles from me. <br> How is the Walker in the snow Adam, I have a single stage that I put on mine to play with, it works okay for dry snow but no hell in heavy wet stuff?

8. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

Cantoo-I would call Walker or email them.My dealer is a real walker pro!He custom makes stuff for his clients.He has also been able to add in metal bristles to sweeper on walkers for snow removal.I would call him!Trust me he should know!Would you like the phone number????Let me know!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care