1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using PDAs?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Roger, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Are many of you using PDAs in the field? I've searched and found some threads in the past, but nothing too recent. And, I didn't find much about specifically they are being used.

I'm considering one, but have no idea where to start. I tap into Sony's PDA site and find so much info, with little guidance as to what each will do, just feature sales, free this/that, little good info. For those using PDA, what brand, model, and why?

I feel I need two primary features, a good appointment mechanism, and a good jounaling mechanism. On each visit, I have recorded what work I did, how much material, elapsed time, anything that should be noted. Therefore, I need some kind of free form, unrestricted format for a couple of lines of info.

What OS does your PDA have? Do you use any specialized software, unique for the functions we might need? Or is the OS of a typical PDA provide enough functionality?

I've been using a three-ring notebook, which works pretty well. But, I'm always tearing pages out, and often can't find what I'm looking for.

2. Sony's top of the line PDA is awesome. I would already have one and be using it if it had a mobile phone with it. The camera is cool, but very low resolution. I carry a spreadsheet and update it each night. That would be great to combine the paper, phone, and camera into one. I don't know, but I'm thinking that product is on the way.
  3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Screw the PDA, spend the extra hundred and get a pocket pc. I love mine. Ipaq. Windows, Outlook calender, pocket Excel, Pocket word...a bunch more. You can even record a note, while driving, I have mine set up to download a couple weather websites every time I sync.
    Crawdad, twenty-first century hillbilly
  4. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

The DellĀ® Axim X5 with Microsoft Pocket PC 2002 Premium (32meg or 64meg) is an excellent choice.
  5. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Depends on what your going to do with it and how much functionality you require and your personal taste.

Palm OS will give you basic scheduling needs without the glitter. It's simple and to the point. Has date book, address book, note pad, etc.

Pocket PC devices use Microsoft Pocket PC OS. It's more like the OS on your desktop. Has allot of the same functionality. It's much more cluttered but has more functions/options.

Remember though, regardless of which one you buy, you can download almost any kind of software applications for either. Do a search for software on the web, you'll find endless applications for both software platforms.

Also, if you don't like the applications that come with the palm OS you can upgrade to several versions offered on the software sites. And if you go with the palm OS device, you can take your QXpress schedule with you on the job.

If your interested in playing music (MP3's) on a Palm, you'll have to get a Tungsten T and buy extra software. That's the only Palm that can play music. Most all the Pocket PC devices support Mp3 from the factory I think.