using pelletized lime as fert filler

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HBFOXJr, Jan 14, 2003.

1. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Ric,

Please explain your last two answers.

I agree with you on the first one but where does the 44 and 82 factors come from.

Now for my formula that I use 20-10-10 with trace elements
    I apply at a rate of 5 lbs per K
    urea 46-00-00 517 lbs
    scu 42-00-00 200 lbs
    DAP 18-46-00 434 lbs
    MOP 00-00-60 333 lbs
    Pel Lime 416 lbs
    Trace elem. 100 lbs

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Greenngrow

Fertilizer number on the bag is for P-oxide and K-oxide. To convert to elemental, use the factor .44 and .83

P2O5 That is 2 atoms of P with 31 electrons and 5 atoms of oxygen with 16 electrons.

Therefore there are a total of 62 electrons of P and 80 electrons of oxygen. Total electrons of 142. 142 electron times 44% = 62 or the total P.

Pretty simple once you look at it. Just think how Scotts and other big fertilizer companies get over on the dumb homeowners.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

OOPs just read the above post and I have a mistake also. Please mark your calendars.

Change the word "electron" to read "Atomic weight". Atomic weight is the protons plus neutrons. If fact P has only 15 electrons and O has only 8.

Sorry I do not research my replies. Since I cannot spell I sometimes replace technical terms with one I can spell. I had another word in mind when I wrote this post and couldnÂ’t spell it. So I plugged in the word electron instead of Atomic weight. I am not a chemist therefore only have a simple working knowledge of it.

4. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ric that's good that you explained that to me. I really imagine the looks you get when you explain that to your customers. You might want to give that the Atomic of BS while your at it.LOL I am justing having fun with you. I think that nice that you have this down. I was never good in chemistry....

5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ric,

I botched the Urea calculation after adjusting for the Nitrogen faction of the DAP.
    The rest of mine was correct based on fertilizer law.
    With respect to the periodic table of elements, you're more accurate. But fertilizer labeling laws have been wrong for a lot longer than I can remember.

Steve

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tremor

Yep fertilizer law vs Periodic table. But what the heck You said find my mistake. So I just tried to pimp you real good.

BTW did you get my PM??

7. This one was all Harold Fox, but now you all have me thinking real hard............

You're gonna have some emails.

Ric tried hard didn't he?....:D Good job Ric, right on the money also.