1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using PGR's to manage shrub/flowers size in the landscape.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Az Gardener, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Has anyone used these products as a management tool for landscape maintenance? Not turf, but for hedges, seasonal flowers, shrubs that just have a tendency to get too big for their location. I would love to hear from someone who is doing this or has tried it in the past.
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

As a sub-contractor, I used a PGR on hedge rows of Abelia to reduce trimming cost and only got the job for one season so I'm assuming the numbers didn't work.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried out PBI Gordon's Atrimec this year. This stuff really works. I have a 300 ft. Privet hedge on a property I maintain, and only trimmed it one time this season. I trimmed it early June and sprayed it a few days later. The lady that owns this property was really impressed too. I also tried it on some forsythia and it worked well there, I only had to trim twice and there wasn't much to trim the second time. I will be working this product into some of my future bids.
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

So did you charge her for just the costs associated with the spray job or did you factor in some of the savings she will realize and try and get a % of that money too? If you don't mind answering that loaded question. Thanks for the info on Atrimec.
  5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

That is an important question on several levels. Was this done as part of a maintenance agreement; for example, was the price for maintenance of the bushess was included in your monthly/annual billing?
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You can almost be assured that the main reason for using the growth control is to reduce the number of trims on properties under contract.
  7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Both places I used the PGR are under a yearly contracted price for shrub maintenance. So less trips and labor are money in my pocket.