Using QuickBooks..Statements or Invoices??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by nlminc, Mar 1, 2005.

1. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

What do you use to bill customers for lawn maintenance services, invoices or statements? I'm going to order some with my logo. Have always used invoices, but have had people say I should send statements for lawn service type of business.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Monthly statements...we use a custom template from QB's that we send out.

3. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

I use the invoices each month but if a customer is behind a month ( I was to lax last year about that but is changing this year ) then we send out a statement showing what they owe so there is no questions.

4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

Statements will not add on the sales tax. I wish it would. Send out monthly invoices (itemized) and if it becomes late (payment) than send the a statement.

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

This year, I'm going to send out a Rottweiler and a really big guy with greasy hair, bad teeth and a straggly beard. How's that for changing this year?

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Bingo.

I don't have sales tax to add on, so it's not a problem. Honestly, I am not even sure the difference between a statement and an invoice, I never use the invoices. Statements work well for me, though.

:D

7. Mower63

Mower63 LawnSite Member

Customers I have like the statements, we use a rolling 2 months so they see what was paid instead of just some nebulus 'balance forward' number. We like the fact you can setup memorized transactions for the recurring charges.

BUT, we also generate invoices for customers when we do landscape work as the plant and labor line items can be extensive. We mail the invoices along with the statements so they see the detail from the invoice. Seems like a lot of work but it keeps things straight although I have a few older customers that send me 2 - 3 checks without realizing they are paying for it on the statement....so we send them back with a short explanation. Then it happens again :dizzy: oh well....I guess we all get old.