1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Using Rental equipment?

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by ryry278, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have rented before, but I never charged more because of the cost. Charge the same as you would if you owned the machine. I have a lot of equipment now that I would have rented when I started, now I don't know how I would go without it.

2. ryry278

ryry278 LawnSite Senior Member

Well i can't afford to buy any of that stuff now. I was not plannign to charge alot more just enough to cover the prices and i cater more to the upperclass houses so hopefully that will help. I was looking at renting vs. owning and maintaing and it just makes alot more since for an machine i might use 2 a year. and at sunbelt renting is actaully affordable and about what you would add on for the price of your machine use.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Renting is fine for equipment that you only will use sporadically. Especially if it costs a couple grand to buy. In the early spring I like to wait until I have a lot of mulch jobs lined up, then I go and rent a bed edger and knock out all the edging, saves me a ton of hours vs. doing it with a shovel. Not cost effective for one job, but for 8-10 jobs it sure is.

The only thing I'd really like to NOT rent any longer is an aerator. Renting them in the fall sometimes is a challenge. Sometimes the places will be all rented out and you have to wait or scramble calling a bunch of other places. I'm hoping to get enough customers to commit to aeration early in the year so I can justify buying one finally.