1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using rip rap for landscape border?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by mike all together, Jul 17, 2010.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you did the taper correctly...hard to see pics on a phone.

The radius will be difficult to mow due to the tightness of it but you can use a trimmer...the reel mower idea won't work because it has a differential and when one wheel isn't touching the ground the reel won't spin, even if it did work it would not be easy to do.

I don't know how large your lawn is but I have a feeling a push reel mower is going to wear you out. Have you thought about a powered model? You can pick them up pretty cheap on Craigs List.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

A good rule of thumb when cutting beds is to always use obtuse angles. It makes mowing easier and eliminates those tight spots of grass where you can't fit a mower and have to use a trimmer. My beds serpentine around my whole house so I can make one pass around house with the edger. I start on the left side of the driveway and edge all the way around the house until I get back to the other side of the driveway. You should be ok with a small mower and a trimmer but anything bigger and you probably wanna re-assess the radius of your curves. I plan on re-doing some of my beds this year since my 36" walk behind doesn't turn as tight as my 21" obviously. Especially when doing circles around the trees I need to make the radius larger.
    Posted via Mobile Device