1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

using roller on mole tunnels

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tamorris, Mar 24, 2005.

1. tamorris

tamorris LawnSite Member

my yard is devastated by moles.just wondering if i borrowed a roller and hooked it up behind my 4-wheeler,if that would smooth it out.also my yard is full of weeds. my wife wants me to use some weed and feed from lowes but i am not convinced this stuff is very good.it just seems that it is put into apretty package just as agimmick to sell to stupid consumers.i have about 53,000 square ft. to treat.i realise that i would probably be better off using a pro but am trying to do it on my own.maybe do the front yard first then the back ,since we have pets.also about the moles,she is convinced that if we get rid of the grubbs then the moles will leave.i told her that while the moles may very well be there because of the grubbs that is not the only thing that that that moles forage on.i want to use traps after itry to smooth yard out with roller.i think i might have a problem using traps with my dogs.im afraid my dogs will set trap off and i will have a huge vet bill instead.when is the best time of the year to use a yard roller? also i realise that i need a soil sample and a weed analysis. this all has come about since i purchased a ztr.ikind of made adeal about the yard .i told her if i were to get a ztr then we could think about fertilizing the yard.as it was with my old mower ,i struggled keepng the yard cut with a 46 inch craftsman. any kind of recomendations would help. thanks :help: :dizzy:
  2. CWG

CWG LawnSite Member

If you use a roller, you gotta go slow, very slow. 1-2mph for best results. It'll flatten the mole hills out, but wont get rid of them. ATV is tough for rollers as its hard to maintain a slow rate for very long. Lawn tractors in low range are the easiest.
    For the weeds, if its real bad, its not too costly to have a pro come out and spray two-three times- thats only a bit more than buying the weed killer, doing it yourself- unless you have a good spreader and the patience to really do a good even job.
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

She is right, get rid of the grubs and the moles will go also. Rolling the lawn while there are still moles is a waste of time. The tunnels will be back the next morning.

4. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I live in an area were there are a lot of moles. It's a war that you cannot win. Used traps, have 3 Jack Russel Terriers that take away every mole they can get and also tried the ultrasonic gadgets. I principally refuse to use poison or chemicals.

The problem is, if you trap or chase a mole another one will take his territory in a short while.

I just live with them now and in summer the lawn is pretty mole-less. In wintertime it is terrible. But when the temp rises and the grass starts growing I spread out all the heaps with a rake (It is very fertile soil). I fill the holes with mulch and if necessary I reseed the real bad spots.

When I start mowing somehow the moles don't come back in quantities. I presume they don't like the mower vibrations or whatever. But in the mowing season I don't worry about the occasional mole-heap. If I rake it before mowing you don't see a thing anymore after a couple of days.

Just my 2 cents...........