1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using seed mix that is 2 years old

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Jul 19, 2010.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Picked up a nice KBG/fescue/rye mix a few seasons back to renovate some lawns. I still have a 10 lb bag of seed mix left from that time. I have kept in my garage off the floor and out of moisture (except humidity in the summers). Would this mix still be good to use to overseed? Or should I plan to mix in lightly with a new bag to use it up?

2. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Test sprout a small sample on a tray of soil to see what kind of gernimation rate you get. Base your application rate on the results.
  3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

sometimes old seed germinates better, good suggestion to trial it first
  4. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I had some seed stored here for 5 years and used it up on an area here that needed seeding and it came in fine. Testing is a good suggestion but my guess is that it will be fine.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I used some Scotts "High Traffic" a ryegrass bluegrass mixture that was 18 months old. I planted a sample inside in a coffee mug. A few of the rye seedlings were up a half-inch tall in 72 hours. You should be ok. Perhaps a few percent loss of viability.
  6. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

I work with the local golf super and this year a spot was planted with year old seed which never germinated. It was reseeded with new seed and it came right up. I guess every situation is different but if it a place where it matters if it is successful I would not take the chance on old seed. Isn't the price of new seed worth the time, effort and hassle if the old fails?