using subs ( ? )

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by theyardstop, May 5, 2005.

1. theyardstop

theyardstop LawnSite Member

Hi everyone.. !

I would like to ask anyone using subs for various work some quick questions.
    My company is primarily a lawn maintence ( mowing , flower beds, etc.)
    but I would like to branch out using subs for things like fert. and possilbly patios etc..
    how do you set up working with subs not only the sub company but what about the customer.?
    If joe Smo customer hires you to fertilize his yard all year, thinking it will be me doing it.. wont he be PO'ed when XYZ fertilizer company shows up.?
    Same question for any other aspect of using a sub company.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
  2. mowboy1

mowboy1 LawnSite Member

I used to sub quite a bit but never hid the fact from the customer. They will be confused and yes, PO'ed, when a different truck shows up with different guys with different shirts.

I found most customers don't care who does it as long as the price is still reasonable and they are told up front what's going on.

Remember there are lots of caveats with subbing. You bill, you handle any problems and you carry the receivable... are you marking up enough to make it worth while? Do you trust who you are contracting to? Will they take your business and how can you be sure?

Just a couple of things to think about.

All the best with it!
  3. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Simple question to answer.....Put in your customer agreement that you (xyz co.) reserve the right to use subcontractors. That takes care of that issue.

4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

No way in he!! would I dream of sub'ing out a large dollar install and have the customer think it was me doing the install and I'm in charge of collecting from the customer and paying the sub.

Too many things can go wrong. The customer can easily complain about ticky tack stuff and refuse payment over it. Or they might just be dead beats. Or the subcontractor you hire might do a really crummy job. Lot's of things could go wrong.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I have started using subs this year for fertilizing as I don't have the licencing.
    I just tell the customer the reason but that i can arrange it for them and they seem to be okay with that. They don't want to have to deal with more than one service. Just mark it up a little to cover your time. (assuming that your main money is from cutting or other service to them).

I've also been subbing out rolling (cause I hate rolling). The guy I use charges $20 - $30 and I charge the customer $50 - $60 but my rolling guy doesn't know that. So everyone is happy.