Using the Edger

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by chesapeakebay, Dec 9, 2005.

1. chesapeakebay

chesapeakebay LawnSite Member

Do you guys edge every yard you do? I am in this part time and by myself. I bought a used shindawa edger and it's pretty nice but, the process is time consuming. Once you use the edger you have to come back through with a shovel and pick it all up. Takes longer than cutting the grass.
  2. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We edge everyone. With that said we do not always use my stick edger. Sometimes once the edge is established we will use the string trimmer to do the edge. We edge almost every lawn almost every time. There may be sometimes that we may skip a few of the lawns. Sometimes they just don't need it. Edging is in my opinion, one of the biggest to making the yard look good. You can teach almost anyone to mow. It is the detail work that makes the difference.
  3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Commercials yes...we build it into the cost.

Residentials...only if they are willing the pay up.

BTW, if you edge every week or even every other week you should be able to just clean it up with your backpack blower. Perhaps the shovel is needed the first time in the spring...if at all. At least this has been our experience with the fescue and kentucky blue here.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I allways edge and I use the line trimmer....

If I have a lawn that needs a shovel that will be extra.....

your right very time consumming
  5. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

I was considering moving to edging on all drives, sidewalks and curblines every week. After the first time, does it take any more time than it would to string trim it, and does it look better?
  6. Shastanova

Shastanova LawnSite Member

I've started to edge everything myself and i found that you only have to do it every other week if at that. And when you dont edge just go by real quick with the stringline trimmer and get any grass that your mower didnt cut. I go just as quick with the edger as i do the trimmer.
  7. Reliable Lawn Care

Reliable Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am with Trinity on this one, always have the edge looking sharp, usually only need the true edger maybe twice a season, spring and the last mowing if needed for the winter. The rest of the season is a cake walk with the trimmer. To edge leaves a lasting impression, and not for just the home owner.
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im with the rest, The 1st time you will have a mess but after the edge is established then it shouldnt be alot more to it then just regular trimming
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

There has been a lot of debate on this issue in the commercial forum. From what I gather, some people hate edging, some people use a string trimmer and call it edging, some clients /regions of the country don't care, some grasses don't really need it. People have different ideas of what edging means.

But, the bottom line is you have to figure out what works for you. I use a steel blade stick edger. In Florida, if you don't edge at least every other week it starts looking like crap. In the winter not so much, but in spring and summer forget it.

After the first few times (and you get good with the edger), you can edge almost as fast as you can powerwalk. Most of my 1/4 acre resi properties take 3-5 minutes to edge completely and look so much better for it. That is sidewalk and driveway. even with concrete beds ringing the house it is less than 10. I just build it into the price. Basic service mow, edge, line trim, blow. $85-130 per 1/4 acre prop monthly. Obviously your price will be different than mine, but I don't discount if the people don't want edging or don't want weekly edging. I say that is my basic package. Way to difficult for my guys to remember not to edge and my best advertising is your lawn looking its best. Polite way of saying pay up or move on.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Here in Texas I have some accounts where the customer likes tall grass,

Like 4 to 5" I cant really use an edger, I use the line trimmer.

But thanks for the post, I have never considered every other week.

again, I think it is to each there own, and what the customer wants