using the GEARS & BELTS!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Well, as most of you know I"m in the market for a WB and have never purchased one or operaed one. What are your remarks, I don't want to spend to much, so do I go hydro or gear, please give me your responces with some sort of explaination. Is buying the gear driven worth the cut cost, or no?
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

If cost is the issue go belt driven......Toro and Exmark make good mowers for good prices. 36" and 48" run 2100-2300 dollars. Hydro is nice but expensive....

3. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

How much more expensive are we taling, should I just bare it, abnd is it worth the cash?
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

About $2500 for a 48" Exmark gear drive.

About $3500 for a 48" Lesco hydro.

If you are going to do some larger yards with zero obstacles then the gear drive is fine. If you need to turn a lot and will have a sulky then the hydro is the ticket.
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Without a doubt, go hydro. Twice the cost, will last 5 times longer, less maintanence, faster, smoother, true zero turn ability, I could go on and companies starting out with limited budgets go belt until they can afford ( or try) a hydro. I used a hydro for years working with someone else, then an opportunity came about for me to buy a gear/belt driven for cheap and I did. Sold it pretty quickly. It was nice, but nothing compared to the hydro. Just get the best now, don't worry about later, it'll still be there for you years and years down the road.

P.S. eXmark, not Toro
  6. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

HEY your from near home...nice... Yea, I try and stay with my residential mostly ,and under 10K, I do have some office buildings where a 32 or 36 would come in handy, but all my lawns seem to be smaller, but they are also where I turn the most profit from. 35 to 45$ for a 15 to 23 min jobber!!! thats money, expcially when I am starting to delevelope closer routes.. hey you don't need a 42" Husqvarna rider do you?
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

All other things being equal (engine/deck,etc...) Bob-Cat hydro is about $1100 more than a geardrive. That's not too bad considering 2 wheel motors and 2 pumps and the hoses.
  8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Hydro would have a higher learning curve than a belt drive.

Hydro would provide MUCH less operator fatique
  9. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

This is true - the only trouble w/ a hydro WB is the cost. You are VERY, VERY close in price to a small Z rider
  10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can not afford a new hydro look for a used one. you can always find some pretty good deals in the paper