1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

using too much sand?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by back_lash, Sep 14, 2007.

1. back_lash

back_lash LawnSite Member

I built a small 6x6 patio infront of my door out of pavers. I put down 6-7 inches of gravel and compacted it and everything, but I kind of misjudged how much sand i had to put down, and it ended up being 2-3 inches in thickness. Is this a big deal? I used Bomix pavement sand and 1/2 inch gravel. I know everywhere it says only put 1 inch of bedding sand, I was just wondering if its a bad thing I put a little too much?

2. back_lash

Here's what I did... Its crap to what ive seen on this site, but it was my first time ever doing anything with paver, so cut me some slack lol... and I know my outer edge stone is unlevel, i have to go back and fix that

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

I can say that anytime I've gone to a "re-lay" job, once I removed the pavers I would find only sand. so my guess is you will have settling over time.
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Yes because if you use edging restraint, either your pavers or sand will fall off and there will be settling. That's not a big area, rip it out and redo, shouldn't take more than a couple hours by yourself. It's ok to have too much base compacted underneath but sand is important.
  5. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally don't think anything will happen. If this was a driveway, subject to vehicular traffic, too much sand will cause rutting and/or shifting, but for your little pad at the base of a porch, especially with that thick turf bordering it, I highly doubt you'll have problems in the future. You may get a little wave or shifting over time, but that can easily be fixed. The integrity will depend mostly on whether or not you tamped it after the pavers were laid.
  6. back_lash

well I didnt have a gas powered tamper, I was only using a hand tamper so I just put some sand down and went over them with that. I also hammered the pavers in place pretty well with a rubber mallet. But probably not as effective as a plate tamper. I guess I will see how it holds up over winter. i am probably going to want to add another step anyway, so I will probably just tear it all out and redo it. My biggest problem is getting the paver to meet flush with the edger stone along the driveway and back. I can't judge how much the paver will settle. The edger stones is 4 inches high, and the paver is 1 3/4" thick, so I dont know how to make them meet flush.:confused:
  7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Ok here is what you do. When you have to met an exist grade ie: driveway, steps, walkway, etc you need to add the thickness of your pavers and your sand together. Then add 3/8 for the settling after you tamp the pavers at the end. This will give you the distance from the top of the base to the grade you need to meet.

GREENTIMEJG LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Do all of you tamp the pavers ? On small jobs i have put the pavers in place hit them a few times with a mallet and checked that they were level and I have not had any problems yeat.
  9. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I tamp all layers - base, sand, & when finished go over the whole thing to make sure everything is completely smooth.
  10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Always use a tamper otherwise you don't get any interlock