1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Using trimmer as blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 19, 2002.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

How many here use their trimmer as a blower? I was thinking that if I am careful enough, then I could manage to not make very much grass and dirt to blow off and just use my trimmer for what little mess I make and this could save a lot of time. Instead of going back to get the blower, removing the blower, starting it up, putting it on, walking to the mess, taking care of the mess, walking back again, taking it off, and putting it back up. Instead just use the trimmer as a blower while you are trimmimng. Not sure if it would clean places where you've edged well enough, though. I've done thi b4 but never as a complete substitute for cleaning up a lawn. Any input fellas?
  2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Come on now VR you know the answer to this one.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hey Vibe Ray,
    I was thinking the same thing and was going to post it just now when I saw yours! I think it would save some time. Just don't make a mess and like you say, you can do sidewalks and the edge of driveways, and if there was a clump of grass or some mud dried onto the driveway, TOUCHDOWN! Just zap it with the string. If I need to do a big area, I will use the rider. In reverse with flap down, it'll really move some serious air (has super, super high lift blade)
    I plan on doing this from now on and see how it works.
  4. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

i actually saw a guy from a big company doing this the other day while I was driving down the road, but he was doing a stretch of sidewalk at a subdivision that was several hundred feet long. with that kind of situation I could understand doing this but with residentials or small commercials

I don't see how you could justify doing this. if the blower is just a few feet away on the truck, you might as well grab it and it will do a better job anyways.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

well, another thought, trimmers are a smaller force, better for sidewalks, but blowers are too powerful and, well, rambunctious. They blow so much that you end up with almost as much left on a sidewalk as when you started, especially on windy days when it's not in your favor. I'll stick with the trimmer for now. 'Sides - I don't even own a blower! This is my first year 'officially' doing it. I have used them before and didnt' care for it.
  6. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

When I can get away with it. Small strip of sidewalk,etc.
    Why not? If there is little to clean up why go back to the trailer to grab the BP?
    I see others do it here all the time.
    Time is $$$.
  7. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I am guilty of using my Shindaiwa trimmer to blow off smaller walks and driveways. It works pretty darn well, too. You aren't alone, VibeRay.
  8. marley

marley LawnSite Member

If the finished product is something you are proud to drive away from go for it. I used to have a 21cc echo and could not do it that often. Now I have a 36cc stihl trimmer and it rips. Blows off side walks with ease, saves time. I am also going to try to mount the blower that I started out with to the deck of my walk behind. Has any body ever tried that one?
  9. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

2 reason why you should not use a trimmer for a blower.

1. By mid season you will end up with a build up of dead grass at the edges of the driveway and side walks.

2. You will look like a moron using the wrong tool for the job.

The ONLY way I could see this (and being lazy) is if you have small concrete walkout in the back yard that only gets a few clippings on it.

Don't you guys blow off all debris and clippings from the driveway, walkway, front door, patio and landscaping for all your accounts? Even if it was not from you?
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

2 man crew-I couldn't agree with you more. People are paying good money for you to come and do what you are paid to do. It takes 2 minutes to get and put back the blower, just use it. Besides, you will look like an idiot using a trimmer for a blower. And, if you edge, you will get buildup. If you don't edge, don't worry about the buildup:D