1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Using trimmer to edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMW Landscaping, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Poopy Shoe

Poopy Shoe LawnSite Member

/\ This.

Plus on beds, I may tell a customer, if they cut in the edge in the first place, I'll maintain it on my weekly visits.

2. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I use a stick edger for high-end customers and picky ones. Everyone else seems to be alright with just the trimmer.

I used to use a McClane edger on everything. $450 for the edger and $10/wk in blades. Once it finally gave out it occurred to me that 90% of my customers didn't really care about the edge and probably never noticed.

3. Porcupine Lawn and Snow

Porcupine Lawn and Snow LawnSite Senior Member

How we Canadian boys do it :canadaflag:

4. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I use an edger for walks and driveways. It's a lot faster than a string trimmer and easier to maintain consistency. With the edger, I can do it at a fast walking pace, after the first time of the season.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly. A stick edger is twice as fast and a trimmer uses far too much string when edging.

6. mathews

mathews LawnSite Member

String trimmers on all residential. stick edger on each property that takes over 1hr to stick edge... Stick edger is only faster when you use it for at least 30min. my .02
    90%of ours are weekly so it not near as fast to go back to get edger when you already have trimmer in hand

7. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

It really boils down to what you're working with. (the turf, not the equipment)
    If I edged every week, you know what the blade would do? Nothing. It would be spinning along an already established little "trench" doing nothing.

The grass isn't creeping into that established edged, nor does it magically fill with dirt - not in a week, not in two weeks, not in a month. Not where I'm working anyway.

Once I cut an edge, it stays that way for a while and a trimmer line makes quick (and neat) work of the few blades of grass that are "falling over" into the edged area.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

A metal blade is faster and looks alot better.

9. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

One machine is called an edger and the other machine is called something entirely different.

Both machines are named for the job they were designed to perform.

Some of us edge the edges with an edger and some of us use a trimmer to edge but one thing is for certain...no one uses an edger to trim.:laugh:

10. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

It does depend on the turf and down here, with warm season grasses that creep, the edges can be a real challenge to maintain.