Using trimmer to edge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AMW Landscaping, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

Kombi 130 Stick edger with gator blades. Cuts about 1/4" so you can actually tell it was edged. Makes a mess for the first cut of the season but after that it is cake to edge with it.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I use straight blades on first go around then I slap the Gators on
    On some lawns I'll bend out the outside fins to get a wider edge

How you like the Kombi130 I need to replace one edger
    I cant make my mind up on a edger or get a Kombi system only system I would need use for be a edger and pole hedge trimmer

3. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Do those edgers ever throw rocks for you? Thats another reason i dont use them. Broke a windshield 50yards away from a rock coming off the edger.

4. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

No I never had a problem with rocks I don't use it in rock beds

Have you ever had your trimmer throw rocks when you are edging

I know just trimming I catch rocks and throw them 50/50 it hits my legs

I forgot I did break a window but I was using it to clean cracks out in a parking lot Contraction guys said I broke it Funny part they was using a air nail gun in same place and didn't tell me for a hour So I don't know if I broke it or they did and told owner I broke it I paid for it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  5. Tylerr83

Tylerr83 LawnSite Member

agree completely. a stick edger is nice to establish a nice clean edge but on northern grasses with weekly maintenance the string trimmer does a fine job.

6. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

The other day I broke a window with my string trimmer. Threw a rock right into it. Off to a great start to the year!!:cry:

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Stick edger faster, tighter edge along curb, sidewalk, driveway, pavers, where the edge is along any hard surface.

However on beds where the edge is between the grass and the dirt of the bed I use a line trimmer.

8. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

if you mostly use the weed stick to edge you'll eventually cut the sod out further from the concrete in some places ending up with an un even edge , that dont happen with a dedicated edger

i'll cheat sometimes because it strikes me like im saving time by edging with a whip because i dont have to go to truck and get edger plus im very quick on my feet / athletic and can use a whip to edge very quickly , it seems like i can back peddle faster edging with whip than i can go forward with edger . but ive never timed it so not sure

but majority of time i use the stick edge

9. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I have a tick edger on my PAS 230, is to dam slow, I use my Honda HHt35s half throttle I walk as fast as I can with it, same with the PAS with the trimmer attachment. but if it is one of those small jungles I use the edger.

10. ashgrove landscaping

ashgrove landscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Just give the whip a little angle an have at it regular. Job gets done and custy is happy as a clam all day every time.