Using WBs exclusively on residentials...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, Oct 8, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm thinking about possibly using this as a selling point for the upcoming season.

Face it, customers care about their lawn for the most part. They don't like to hear that a machine weighing easily half a ton(or more) is rolling over their turf. And we've heard stories about LCOs being "terminated" by the customer because their mower was way too heavy in the customers' eyes.

And I see the point. A lot of guys use Zs on tiny lots, 10K to 12K square feet. They're saving maybe 2 or 3 minutes but at the expense of rutting the turf, especially if the ground is soft.

Have any of you ever tried to use this for a selling point? Keep in mind I'm talking small lots 1/3 acre or less.

2. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

When i talk to possible future customers I usually always tell them I use a wb vs the ztr. I don't know if it convinces them or not but its worth mentioning. I personally wouldn't use a ztr on residential properties.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

In many instances, a WB can do the job faster and better with less trimming as well.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Very true!!Good morning Mr Rod father:waving: Also with alot less Rutting and turf taring:)

5. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I found the same thing that it can save time and GAS too.:)

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Also saves on trimming:cool2:

7. Brad Ent

Brad Ent LawnSite Member

We picked up a few customers this year that were dissatisfied with previous LCO using zt's.

8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I took it a step further and put on my doorhanger that we only use 21" mowers. I just target small lawns. This has worked out very good. Many customers have told me they do not want the big mowers on their lawns, they also are speaking of large walk behinds. This definitely sets me apart from some of the other guys. Besides that, a small wb is the best way to do the smaller gated lawns anyway. They do a great job for a fraction of the cost.

9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I've been thinking about this for the same reason, even considering a 42" stander at around 800lbs.

I just don't see the justification for a 1,400lbs machine on a 10k lawn.

10. Siesta Key Lawn Service

Siesta Key Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I agree with Coonman,I advertise the fact that I only use small wb's.Had a 36"
    stander, but received too many complaints from customers.For small properties, wb's are the way to go. You would be smart to incorporate this into your advertising.