Using WD-40 to Prevent Grass Sticking

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by oak-knoll-farm, May 12, 2002.

1. oak-knoll-farm

oak-knoll-farm LawnSite Member

I use my Lazer-Z XP w/72 in deck and Gator blades to cut about 15 acres of lawn and pasture each week. It takes only 4-5 hours, including trimming under the length of 1/2 mile of plastic horse fence. After I finish mowing, I usually jack up the front end of the mower with a farm jack and scrape the underside with a wide-blade plastic drywall type scraper (less than a $1 each) and then wash it off with a high-pressure water hose. When it is dry, I spray the entire bottom surface with WD-40. To save $$, I buy WD-40 by the gallon and use a plastic spray bottle. This seems to be working fine and I have had very little problems with grass sticking to the underside and buildup while cutting.

Question, does anyone know of any downside to doing this and using WD-40 on the underside of my mower deck?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Oak-Noll,

From an equipment stand point I don't know of anything you'll effect under the mower deck.

I would also recommend that if the lawn is wet, lush or in spring like conditions that you try something other than the "gator". Not that the "gator" is a bad blade, it just may not be the "best" blade for wet conditions.

Thanks

Terry