using work truck as personal vehicle

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DannyLot, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I can't do that. A driveway can be about anything where I am. I need to see the property and see where the hazards and push zones are. In fact, once storm warnings are up I close my plow list. The only exceptions I'll make are for lawn care customers that I don't usually plow for or a neighbor or something. The last time I went against that the towing bill to get me out of the ditch was twice what I got paid for the driveway. And what the hell is with people putting a big rock at each corner of their driveway apron?

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

since I don't live in Maine I'd need to see a pic of your driveway and I'd be charging for drive time to get there.

my driveway is first on the list because I'm already sitting it. I just push the snow on my way out.

my advertising this time ends the last day of december so I don't have to worry about closing my list. the only people I'd get after that are those that would flag me down while doing a clients. that's rare but I will do it as long as I have the clients who insist on being plowed by a certain time done.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I am going to get a 4X4 moster truck and hook up an aerator on it. I can rip up the sod.

4. Wayne's Lawn Service

Wayne's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

as your company grows, I think you will be happy to take advantage of section 179. Especially the enhanced version currently available.

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I have used the 179 many times not sure I will going forward

6. Wayne's Lawn Service

Wayne's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Keep doing what works best for you. That is all that matters.

I know it has saved us thousands of dollars in taxes due by reducing our gross income right off the top. I guess it is like everything else. It has its place. Have a great day.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

You do not get a bigger deduction, you just get to take all of it at once. Kind of bites to make payments on a truck and have no deductions years down the road.

:waving:

same deductions just a matter of how they are applied.

8. goinggreen123

goinggreen123 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

9. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

Just out of curiosity why was it a bad idea that you where upgrading your truck with performance and such and wanting to use it for work? thanks

10. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

I like your ideas for the truck man, it's your money do what you want. Plus having a few trucks uniformed the same way with some custom stuff for looks, "in my opinion" that's power to you, people will know who you are and what company that is just by how your trucks look. :cool2: