using work truck as personal vehicle

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by DannyLot, Dec 7, 2012.

1. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly that is why we have to have trade plates on them now for cheaper registration. Used to be people bought trucks for work and it wasn't a question. Buy the truck drive it maintain it. Only thing I like is a good stereo but usually wait until stock speakers are shot to do that even.

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

trade plates, cheaper registration. must be a location thing.

my plates and registration cost the same whether I use the truck for business or personal use.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Your state has no commercial plates? That's very unusual. My truck's plates would be about $28 a year but I have commercial tags so it's closer to $200 a year.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Texas does not charge more for a light duty or medium duty truck.

5. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

You can get a 99-02 Ford F250 with the 7.3 Diesel for around 10K. Great, reliable truck. Pay cash and have the good feeling of no truck payment. Truth be told, in THIS ECONOMY, if you have 10K in cash, you could probably buy a truck from a private seller listed at $14,000. Just show him the money and I betya he gives it up. Just food for thought. Newer/nice trucks are GREAT, but in 2-3 months the novelty wears off, and the payments are still there.

6. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Around here questions regarding Insurance and who else you work for usually come up. Do your customers check out your blades on your mowers before you cut too?:laugh:

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

There is a slightly higher cost for commercial plates here over combination plates. But its no where near Richards numbers which in my opinion encourages dishonesty and averting the law. Here for a vehicle with a 10001-11000 gvw the registration is as follows for 12 months.

Commercial reg $137.60
    Combination reg $134.60

They allow combination plates here up to 12,500 pounds so allot of the newer 350/3500s are over with the new weights of 13000 gvw. The thing that is sweet about the combination is they last 24 months and can expire when ever that 24 months is met. So any month of the entire year but the commercial reg all expire in April every year. You bought your truck in March great see you in a few weeks when its time to renew the reg. And they only pro rate the cost in 6 month increments. I got screwed on a trailer a few years back I missed 6 months and the lower rate by 3 or 4 days. So that was a nice 60-70 dollar hit but my times worth more then that so coming back later and dealing with all the lines again was not going to happen.

8. yardguy28

they have commercial plates for certain vehicles but a pickup for an LCO is not one of them. even if all you use that truck for is business.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Some states even require US DOT numbers on ALL commercially used trucks with a GCWR of 10,001 pounds or more. All I had to have was commercial tags, no DOT numbers are required.

10. yardguy28

no commercial plates needed and no dot numbers unless your 26,000 lbs or more.

I don't have either.