1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ut oh...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Adam3669, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

I got my first call today from passing out flyers...and the guy left a voicemail. In his voicemail he says that he checked out my website and wants "his yard taken care of professionally this year". the problem is that I'm 16, 17 in may, and I don't know how he will view me when i show up to give him his free estimate.

I view myself as very professional, and I use all commercial grade equipment. I believe I run my business just as any other professional solo operation would.

Any pointers?
  2. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

Sounds to me if u have proffesional equipment and do a great job then u r professional no matter what your age.... right????
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yoy will just have to take that chance
  4. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

Go into the meeting with confidence. Obviously you have been doing something right it sounds like.

Also, be honest! I have customers that occasionally ask questions about plant material that I don't know the answer to. I'm honest and tell them that I don't know but will find out the answer for you and call you back promptly.

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Nice little website! I hope you do well!

The one thing I wanted to advise you of concerning your website is that when a piece of paper is signed by a customer, that paper IS legally binding to both you and the customer. Just thought you should know that before hand. Good Luck! I wish my 17 year old had the initiative you seem to be displaying...
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

minors can not sign a contract, it is not binding, that is why they cant do commercial property, or anyplace else that requires a contract..... usually

im not saying it is fair, but it is true and legel

there is nothing you can do about your age, just do your best... yes some people will say , he is just a kid , i want a professional adult... thats ok just move on to the next....
  7. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Listen I know for a fact that people will hire kids to work. In one of my neighbourhoods there were these signs called matt and mike lawn care and snow removal. Very nice hand painted signs on wood and they were chained to boulevard trees just in this one suberb.
    Eventually I found out they started when they were 13 and now were in highschool. I've had several of my customers tell me how much they miss them (I think they stopped working or went to collage or something) but the thing is I always assumed they were adults just because of how nice there signs were. Their signs were so nice competition would vandalize them, vandalize kids signs lol...

If you're paranoid put a picture of yourself on your site and tell them your in high school or whatever. Then you won't go knocking on their door wondering what impression they have of you.

The only problem I could see in this is if people would be willing to pay professional rates to a kid. You better have a nice truck and decals and brochures etc. if you pull up or a bike...
  8. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have been in that situation a few times, i too use all commercial equip, and all of my accounts look professionaly taken care of.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

oh another thing about being professional, answer your own phone.

example: 5 months ago I was looking to replace my furnace one of the people that answered the phone insisted on taking a message but I asked a few technical questions about furnaces, how fast they could get here and so on and the guy had to tell me that they were just an answering service. I hung up.
    During business hours always answer your phone yourself or your people. You can have a proper message like "I'm on the other line leave your name I'll phone you back." or call waiting.
  10. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I used to have my house # on my flyers, biz cards, and my customers would call it, and my parents, sister or brother would pick the phone up, and not give me the messgae that anyone called. So now i have my own office phone line. It looks more professional too.