Utility Bed Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lawnspecialties, Jun 25, 2008.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm about to put another truck on the road with all these low prices these days and am seriously considering an F-250 or C2500 with a utility bed. You know the type you generally see plumbers, etc. use with compartments on both sides. Knapheide and Reading are some of the more common names.

I figure I would really appreciate the compartments for chemicals, tools, parts, etc.. I'd still have room for a sprayer mounted in the back.

Anyone use a truck with these beds? If so, have you been pleased with your decision?

Thanks

2. S&MLL

S&MLL LawnSite Senior Member

Yes have a 8ft Knapheide on a 08 2500HD. Truck is great and all the lockable storage is nice. I like Knapheides design over Reding because Knapheides doesnt have the wheel tubs in the bed. So you have an actual 4 by 8 bed to use.

3. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ya we have one-....98 chevy 3500 4X4- with reading body.its nice for hedgers, chain saws, ropes loppers , saws, you can even put shovels , dirt rakes , ect in one side of it. i really dont see the use in pick-ups in the landscping word, we have one also, but only use it for plowing and personal use, dump trucks, and utilitybodys are the only way to go for landscaping!

4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I am in the middle of trying to find a ulity body to put on my truck. I am so sick of pickup truck beds.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Big truck beds are nice but I usually end up putting three truck boxes all the way around the bed. Then they usually fill up with stuff fairly quickly.

I've found an F-250 about 100 miles from my house but there are several Chevys at local dealerships. I might be switching brands this year. :)

6. Lil'MowinMan93

Lil'MowinMan93 LawnSite Member

Trust me specialties gm trucks are worth it. I use my dads 04' sierra 1500 4x4 crew cab short bed. i love the truck just wish it was ext. not crew cab. Has plenty of power and good towing capacity. The only thing is i haven't decide if im going to keep that one or buy a 2500 ext or reg cab 4x4 and hang a plow on it. I think a 1500 is too light duty for plowing. What do you guys think?