1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

utility bodies

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Dec 2, 2007.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

just wondering if anyone has a small truck with a service body on it, like a tacoma, ranger or s10. if so ho did you like it. i was thinking of geting one for my 05 tacoma trd for when i start my service business next year. i dont think weight will be a problem because my truck has the inflatable air bags on the rear springs.
  2. I think Reading makes service bodies for smaller trucks. I had an aluminum Stahl body on an F-150. Aluminum cost more but are much lighter. You will not regret getting a service body if you plan to be a serious service guy.
  3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

the truck that i use to do service for the company i work for now is a 02 silverado 2500 HD 4x4 6.0 liter with a stahl body. its a great truck but its over kill, it gets like 10 mpg and its only hauling poly pipe and plastic fittings and a few tools maybe 500 lbs. so i was thinking if i conver my truck to a utility body it would be perfect and it can tow up to 6800 lbs so i can tow a pipe puller once in awhile.
  4. My F-250 with a service body/piperack/and all my stuff gets 10mpg at best. I hate it. Wish I could come up with a rig that allows me to be a pack rat and get 22-24 mpg. This is one reason I like to stay on the same yard for 2-3 hours and not be doing short service calls and running around all day.

My assistant uses an Astro van and it is much better around 15 plus mpg he can lock his stuff up better than i can. he can't carry 20' pipe though.
  5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

look hard at how much room there is in a utility body . You can buy 2 side boxes for the truck and get 80 per cent of the storage of a utility body for a fraction of the price.
    I have had service bodies , and vans , I prefer the vans , more room, and a great billboard .
  6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a service body on my S15 that's a Stahl. I've gotten a lot of use out of it.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

our service body was no more than a reg truck.

We got our 2500HD with a service body for 22K out the door.
  8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

problem with service bodies is they weigh so much that by the time you get it on you can hardly haul any weight...we have an 11' on an F550 and with the 110 gallon diesel tank in it she is almost maxed out
  9. My f-250 pulls my 4000lb trencher just fine.....110 gallons of diesel will only weight about 800lbs...:weightlifter:
  10. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

all i know is with the jumping jack tamper, all the tools, and fuel this is one HEAVY beast...we had a 3500 dodge before this, pretty much same set up and had to replace broken rear leaf springs twice....this thing will still haul a 2'x2'x4' concrete inlet box but it doesn't like it