1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Utility Flags

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Went to a property today and theres all these damn flags stuck in the ground where the utility companies have marked for something. What do you guys do? Its a PITA to have to get off, move them, then stick em back in.
  2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

I had a lady go off on me once because i ran like 5 of those things over.

she thought there was going to be an explosion are something. you had to be there.

if they've been there for over i week i run them over.
  3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I wouldn't run them over, they're infamous for puncturing your tires. But they also don't get all summer to do whatever they're doing either, so yank them and toss them in the nearest garbage can. They should paint the grass as well when they mark it and that should be sufficient for pointing the way for a reasonable time frame.
  4. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts were that the utility companies have alot more money and staff than I do, so if they lose their flags and have to re-do it, tough. Time is money is our industry and I'm not gonna spend all day babysitting their flags!
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

exactly. I move them, if I have to put em back, fine, but they should use paint instead, its less of a PITA for us to move.
  6. Ferrante/TDF

Ferrante/TDF LawnSite Member

I pull them and I keep them for simple things paint them orange for snow plowing and anything else you chould think of freebe the best kind
  7. Lawnmedics

Lawnmedics LawnSite Member

Run them MF' s over.
  8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

bad liablility issue if you move them and stick them back in wrong. If you remove them, leave them removed.
  9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely bad for tires, 1st week I go around them 2nd week they come out for good. No problems so far.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Never remove those flags unless you're the one who ordered the utilities marked. You are liable if someone hits a wire, pipe, etc and you moved or removed those flags. Mow around them and don't remove them and replace them. The law here says any digging and you must mark the utilites. After 2 weeks they are void and must be remarked.