Utility flags

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenservice, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Greenservice

Greenservice LawnSite Member

Don't you love when a utility company comes along and puts a string of those little flags across a big lawn? It's especially bad if it's a lawn where you normally have real nice lines and now you have to weave around all these flags. After a month or two you start to 'accidentally' knock the flags down with the string trimmer.

2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

ever think about trimming around them?

3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

i dont trim around then the mower is the closest and that isnt that close they are really really dangerous if you as me

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about your state but in Illinois they are only good for 14 days then they are suppose to be remarked if the intended work has not been performed. I usually wait 3 weeks then remove them. The bad thing is if they are marking up the yard they are likely going to be digging up the turf and really making a mess.:eek: Marc

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I carry 3 cans of marking paint in the trailer. If they are not already painted where the flags are, then I make dots where the flags are. Then, I can just replace the flags when I'm done. It sounds like alot, but it's STILL quicker than mowing around and/or trimming around the flags. Incidentally, the cans of paint will last you forever.

6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

HUH???????:confused: :confused: :eek: :dizzy:

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

The worst is when the invisible dog fence people flag the lawn. Then you have dozens and dozens of flags just a few feet from the property lines. And the homeowners never seem to take them out. Leave 'em for me to mow over.

8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had my share of the metal flags stuck in my tire, the ground gets hard and someone tries pulling the flag out of the ground and only pulls the plastic off, then bends the metal down. 14 days in Illinois is what I've heard too, if I don't know how long they've been there and they are rusty I pull them.

9. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

How about those new eletric fences for dogs, they put flags out in the yard a long row of em so the dog gets used to knowing where the "fence" is and where it will get zapped.

Jeff

10. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

we just got invisible fence in our yard, the flags are a pita but they need to be there to train the dog to so he knows his boundaries. you they should start to remove every other flag by the 4th week, and then every other each week after that. but after a long day i just run oversome becasue i dont feel like geting off the mower, but i have extras so its ok. but it was kinda fun, it was like a slalom course with my proslide