Utility flags

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PicturePerfect, Oct 11, 2004.

1. PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect LawnSite Member

I pull up a commerical property last week and there are about 50 flags marking underground utilities. The utilities are also marked by paint. What would you do?
    (A) Pull the flags, mow, replace
    (B) Pull the flags, mow, not replace
    (C) Mow over the flags
    (D) Trim around the flags

2. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

DO NOT MOW OVER THEM.
    the wires can impell you and the tires
    causing you to look real stupid

3. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would mow around and make sure i didn't go over the paint then trim and thing i could with out disrupting the flags/markers.

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Me too. Just don't let it eat to much into your time.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

mow and trim around them, tack on 10% utility flag surcharge.

6. PicturePerfect

PicturePerfect LawnSite Member

The dew was also very heavy.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

double surcharge

8. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

I mow around them. I won't trim around them or pull them. Leave a note with the home owner or talk to the buisness about the liabilities of doing such. I don't waste to much time with it. Just remember there is a contractor that called in a locate for those flags and removing them will waste their time. They have a job to do and it could look bad on you if your the reason your client did'nt get the work done or if someone got hurt because you moved, mowed over, or pulled the flags.

DLCS likes this.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Mow as close to them as you can, do not remove them. Even if you mow and replace them, you could become liable if a utility is hit during any excavating.

10. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Mow as close as you can aand then add a yellow flag surcharge, a blue flag surcharge, an orange flag surcharge, a Brown flag surcharge, a yellow paint surcharge, a blue paint surcharge, A brown paint surcharge. Then you have to take a look and see if any of the flags or paint were covering or stuck in dog poo, Then ADD A SURCHARGE. Did they mark it on a Friday? Add a surcharge! Is Bobby Gedd getting a woody? Add a surcharge! :drinkup: :cool2: :drinkup: :drinkup: