Utility Location equipment

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Jan 31, 2008.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

What is the latest and greatest out there ?

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I have a pair of witching sticks that my wife bought me years ago. I have become amazed. This is my first line of defense. I know it is not exactly what you are asking, but they are inexpensive and I carry them with me all the time.

3. AWJ Services

from Ga

I use copper wire bent in a L shape as well.LOL

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

AWJ....I have a friend (believe it or not) who runs a location service. He has the latest and greatest electronic equipment. You want the names and models of the equipment he uses?

5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My neighbour works for a new type of Ground Penetration Radar/ X-ray company, he's very hush-hush.

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

I would be ineterested for sure.

I guess I want a good peice of equipment that will not break the bank and is effective and fast.
    Most of our utilities from the street to the house are 3 foot of less deep.
    We have a clay type soil.

I would as well like to know peoples techniques on finding septic drain field lines.

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Smell is a good method!!

Sometimes you can see the septic trenches in the summer or spring months.

8. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I like to call Miss Utility. " Before you dig, every dig, called Miss Utility, its the law" If I need to find a water line or shut off valve I use two coat hangers bent out straight and at a 90 where my hands hold them. When they cross I know it under me. It sounds like an old wise tale but it works for me.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

First off, I always call in a locate before I do anything. From there, if I hit anything, my hind side is covered. Aside from that. I used a device this summer that worked pretty well. Only works if you have a tracer wire, but it does work. Basically you clamp a lead wire from the unit to the tracer wire and ground out another wire. Then you have a handheld unit that beeps and when you swing it across the path.

Other than that, I've used witching sticks and metal detectors.

10. AWJ Services

from Ga

Occasionally the location you called in is not done.
    Then what do you do?Load up and go home?