Utility vehicles

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Joel B., Jul 21, 2006.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

John Deere Gator, Polaris Ranger, Kawasaki Mule, Yamaha Rhino...

Anyone have opinions on any of these? Looking for the "Good, Bad and Ugly" of these machines.

Thank you,

Joel B.

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i am also looking for a UTV, i was looking at a JD gator CS series, anybody have any info pro or con? i would be using it around the yard, 1 acre surrounded by woods. I wanted something to take the work off of the new broadmoor pulling the yard cart, plus i need more ground clearance for navigating in the woods (we have a tiki style patio area in the woods that has been claered out, and has power and water and a great stereo system, so i go back and forth through the woods daily) any info is appreciated, i am looking for something inexpensive, in this case, less is more.

3. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

I only have experince with the gator and the rhino id probaly go with the rhino if i wanted the tougher and stronger of the 2 better suspension and a better ride and more power, but at the same time i have used a gator for three years drove it threw creeks hauled hay to the horse's threw 18 inches of snow no problem.

pretty good clearence and i think there cheaper, but they are a work horse.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I had a Gator 6x4. What a maintenance nightmare! I demoed all the others and then bought a Club Car XRT. The XRT is by far the best one yet.

5. pgoulding

pgoulding LawnSite Member

If I were goin to get one I would go with the Rhino 660 becuase it has a ton of power and if you ever want more they make a ton of aftermarket parts for the Rhino.

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

About 10 years ago a used a Mule. Seems okay at the time. Before that it was a cushman truckster and a 3 wheel (can't remember the name) Both were good machines. (10 years ago though)

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with the Kubota RTV or the Gator 6X4, but the Gator is a little less heavy duty. It does not seem to hold up as well.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I checked into this because it would be nice, but those atv's run 3-4 grand easy and then you still need accessories and what can an atv really DO?

So I been thinking about getting a compact tractor with a bucket loader, like a Hinomoto. They only weigh around 2-3 thousand pounds so a single axle trailer holds them dandy, and they're light but powerful (unlike the dingo which can lift 500-800 pounds, the hinomoto's shovel is rated 1,300 pounds), and they will run you about 6 thousand used but I mean look at this sweet thing:
    (thou I think it's a Shibaura)
    [​IMG]

Here's another link to the same place: (For a Yanmar)
    http://angelotractors.com/index.php?pr=YM2210