UV compaction ratio

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jason r., Dec 14, 2002.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

What is the compaction rate on the UltraVac?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jason r.

Thanks for the post Jason. I'm not sure what youÂ’re looking for in terms of "compaction rate".

If you looking for the amount the grass will compact in the grass containers I don't know that there really is a formula.

I can however give you a comparison. We've compared our "breathable" system to some "solid" hopper systems and we often see a significant increase in the amount of debris the UltraVac will hold. It's tough to put a rate or ratio on it because all debris are different. The type of debris, condition, moisture content all of these will effect any type of rate or ratio we could calculate.

Here's what I can tell you. The breathable mesh allows air to escape so the clippings aren't constantly being "fluffed" up from the air entering the hopper. Not only does the system allow the air to escape from around the debris but it can also help the air escape with in the debris as well. All this makes for more stuff into a small container with less stops to empy it and a whole lot less plugging. Pretty cool huh.

Thanks

Terry

3. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Terry,
    i guess what i was trying to find out is.... to what extent are the clippings or leaves chopped up before entering the bags on the UV. some manuf. list a reduction rate or a compaction rate, something like 10:1 or 6:1. i purchased a side bagger real cheap for my lazer hp but it fills up in seconds and when you dump it alot of the leaves look like i packed them in there by hand. hardly chopped up at all.:( it does work good but i'd be willing to spend more $ if i didn't have to stop and empty bags every few minutes. thanks for any more info.:D

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jason r.

I understand. We don't really give a ratio because we don't know how you can. Lawnmower blades, chipper shredders, grinders etc. will all have different rates depending upon what type of debris it is your talking about. Leaves will obviously be different than grass and wet debris will be different than dry.

Our philosophy on the UltraVac is that we don't want it to grind the clippings/debris. We simply want the vac to give the debris a boost that will send them to the hopper. The problem with grinding up clippings too small is that it can cause plugging if the debris contain too much moisture. It's a lot like the limitations of mulching. The more you chop the clippings the more moisture they release and thus the stickier they get. This causes clumping, balling and plugging. Compound that with the tight radius of a blower you can see the problem begin to develop. Once it starts it usually only gets worse until you clear it out.

With the UltraVac very little of the debris actually goes through the impeller. Instead we are just adding air to boost all the stuff back to the hopper. If you want to reduce the volume of the clipping by chopping them smaller I would recommend a set of mulching blades of some type. We believe that you really want the deck to do all the cutting and chopping and use the vac to move the debris.

The compaction you get from the breathable bags often off sets any reduction in clippings you may see from grinding at the blower with other brands. Throw in a set of mulching blades and you just might be surprised which one actually holds more stuff.

Thanks

Terry