1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

UV purifier

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Oct 11, 2012.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Today i re-piped this UV purifier it was a mess with all the pex. It has all new Stainless ball valves because the others rotted off in 4 years and I added some unions.

photo 2(2).jpg

photo 4(4).jpg

photo 5(4).jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  2. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta question, what are they using the UV lights for? The reason I'm asking we have a 40,000 gallon reclaimed water system for the toilets in the building I work in. Right now it is shut down due to the 40,000 gallons of water is contaiminated and has a horrible smell. All the water comes from the roof (rubber) and the condenstate form all the HVAC units.

Are they using it for the irrigation water?

3. greenmonster304

This site is a tennis camp. The helth dept says that if you have kids on site with well water it needs a purifier.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

U.V. treatment is great, but pricey. I researched it for a large (MEGA) estate that was pumping from ponds and spreading root rot. They had tried bleach application via injection. I determined it would be cheaper to drill a new well, which worked. The U.V. treatment application is designed for a gpm flow treatment, and as the application rises, the price becomes almost un-affordable, but I still like it and would enthuse anyone to research the application for lower-demand syatems.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet, pride in craftsmanship speaks loudly.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is there something about the UV process that would do harm to brass ball valves?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Got one of those in my house. What exactly do you mean by "rotted" off?

8. greenmonster304

Not the valve itself but the handle, stem, and hardware.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Why have both ball valves and gate valves at each end?

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It's hard to tell in the pics, but it looks like galvanized unions to brass? :dizzy: