1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

UV rays and PVC question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, Apr 10, 2008.

1. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

My brother and i found a guy trying to get rid of about a tractor trailer sized load of pvc from 1 1/2" to 6". It is left over from a golf course install about 8-10 years ago. It has been out side in the sun all that time do you think the intergrity has been compromised? if the sun dosent mess it up it would be a great deal, the guy just wants it off the property.
  2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen it get brittle when other companies use it to exit the backflow preventer and go into the ground. But, I'm not a PVC expert.
  3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Avoid that like the plague. Never know where its been. If it is not burned, it probably hasnt been int he direct sun, but 8-10 years out of the ground is no good.

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with Hoskmo...

It will be brittle and degraded.
  5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The larger stuff would work fine for non pressurized drain line.
  6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep...not to good for pressure. But it will work fine for sleeves and even drain lines.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on all the above -> non pressure uses only
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

produce massive amounts of spud guns with the pipe and start a new biz :)
  9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Spud guns? My youngest son and his friend made one out of ABS and he and his buddy used hair spray as a propellant and something to generate a spark...holy crap!

One potato took out a corner of a basketball backboard when they their aim was a little careless... they lost track of others in a stand of fir and redwood trees, but we could hear them hitting trunks a long way off.

I'd bet old PVC would have a good chance of shattering under similar pressure...

Sleeves would definitely be a good use.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think 6-inch PVC would make a cantaloupe cannon