Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Wayne Landscaping, May 12, 2004.

1. Wayne Landscaping

Wayne Landscaping LawnSite Member

Does anybody have a 10 cylinder F-250 or F-350? If so, how do you like it?
  2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I've heard they don't have alot of power for towing. Also if you look on www.BlueOvalNews.com they just suspended the production of these engines until November 2004. So obviously something is seriously wrong or something like that with the engine. Go diesel, it's worth every penny, with gas prices they are right now. I'm so glad to be paying 50 cents less a gallon on fuel that all those gassers out there.

Plus think about it... 10 cylinders on gas? That's going to get real expensive really fast.

Come play with the big boys, get a diesel:-D

3. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

I have a '99 F250 with the V10. It's never been underpowered, I have not had any problems with it (about 90,000 miles).

It is a gas hog, I check every time I fill up, the best it ever got was a little over 12 MPG, it's usually under 11 MPG. It works on a farm and spends more time in 4 wheel drive than most probably do.
  4. Wayne Landscaping

Thanks for your inputs.
  5. FosterLawnscaping

FosterLawnscaping LawnSite Member

I have a v10 and I have a diesel. He asked about a v10. I actually have first hand experience with one so I'll give my input on it instead of giving second or third hand info like jwing. I have not had one problem with my v10. I get 12 mpg towing around town, I get 16.5-18 highway empty. It has never been underpowered even with 12,000 pounds behind it. If I were buying a new truck, It would have a v10 under the hood. It's not worth it to spend an extra 5 grand on a diesel. I bought my diesel used and got a great deal or I never would have bought it. The v10 has hp and torque all through the rpm range. It's a great truck engine. My 2 cents.
  6. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

fuel prices...
    diesel $1.64
    reg gas $1.89
    i got a diesel because of the
    9mpg i was getting in a F150 gas burner
  7. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

heres my honest opinion about diesels. if your going to keep the truck for the long haul get diesel the cost will eventually pay for itself. if you keep trucks for under five years or don't put on 20,000+ miles a year don't get one it won't be justified. i still would rather have a diesel though and the torque will blow any gas job out of the water!
  8. BackAcreFarm

BackAcreFarm LawnSite Member

A little fun with math:
    From the Ford website, the difference between the V10 and the Diesel is $4485 (list).
    Using the prices above for fuel (Gas $1.89, Diesel $1.64), and a couple of estimates at MPG (V10 at 10MPG and Diesel at 16MPG), the mileage you would have to drive to make up the difference is 51850.
    At 51850 miles the V10 would have cost about $9800, and the diesel would have cost about $5315 - a difference of $4485.
    This doesn't count that the diesel trade-in (residual value) would probably be higher than the V10.
    Keep in mind though that current prices are an anomaly and there are times when the diesel fuel is actually higher than gas.
  9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 99 F-250 with the V10, I love it, BUT had I known then what I know now I'd have got the diesel.

The only reason is gas mileage and current gas prices.

If gas was back down at $1.17 which is what I was paying this time last year, I'd say go V-10.
  10. Wayne Landscaping

Thanks guys. Cost really isn't a big deal to me because what's more important is the principle that you have 10 cylinders.