1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

V-6 Work truck shootout

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dishboy, Feb 10, 2011.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

2. poolboy

poolboy LawnSite Silver Member
    from earth

Interesting, how Ford's 3.7L put up such better HP/Torque #'s over the other 3.7 and 4.3. Also, the website is horribly put together.
  3. dishboy

from zone 6

I drove one yesterday and it really gets with the program and makes a nice handling truck with a light motor up front . This engine is light years ahead what my old 4.2 was.

MLAWCARE LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 4.2 really looking at the eco boost for my next truck. I would still take the 4.2 over chevy's small V8 it was in the rental truck I had I think the ford 4.2 has more power.
  5. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

Hey great article, thanks for sharing! I've got an old 4.2 V6 myself so it was enjoyable for me to see a V6 shootout :) Of course, it wasn't much of a challenge considering that Ford has a brand new engine and trans combo stacked up against Dodge & GM's old stuff, but it still made for a great read.

It's crazy to see the rate at which these engines are advancing. Their BASE V6 engine putting out 300HP, averaging 21 mpgs unloaded, and mated to a 6-speed automatic trans, hell yeah! Dodge and GM are right on their heels I'm sure but Ford beat 'em to the punch with their new engine lineup. Now let's just hope they don't have any of the crappy issues that Ford's last line had (spark plugs and bad gaskets come to mind).
  6. Steven B

Steven B LawnSite Member
    from CA

The new ford sure does look nice.
    The GM 4.3 hasn't changed much over the past couple years & they need to change that. My 02 s10 has 190hp, but they're built good & reliable.
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

no tundra? i have a rare v6 tundra reg cab and its the best work truck one could ask for
  8. DavidNJ

DavidNJ LawnSite Senior Member

The Ford is in a different class of engine and price.

First, a 4v DOHC vs. some archaic pushrod V6s? Naturally balanced 60° cylinder bank angle vs. forced 90° angles with offset cranks? Note, it has over 1 point higher compression and produces 50% more power. The only knock is whether Ford altered the tuning enough for truck use.

Second, the Ford costs 15-20% more than the others. Doesn't that count? If price was no issue why not convert Rolls Royces to truck use? Or may a Bugatti? 1000 hp could be useful. :) The key is to deliver a product for a price.
  9. dishboy

from zone 6

Initial cost is only one consideration when considering a truck. Fuel savings on the Ford alone is worth over $500.00 a year if using EPA numbers as a guide and then we can talk about Consumer Reports projected reliability on the two brands and Ford win hands down. Plus the Dodge is Fugly.
  10. weed wacker 2

weed wacker 2 LawnSite Member

Give the ecoboost another year or so to work out any bugs.