V-Box and pickups

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by thelawnguy, Jan 22, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Id love a V-box spreader for my pickup, but I cant figure how to make it work on my 3/4 ton Dodge (8800 gvw) I have a scale ticket from Friday, with plow and maybe a yard and a half of sand in the bed, 11,150 lbs that doesnt include me or my snack bag nor does it include the snowblower and fuel, how do you guys put a 1000 lb v-box in one of these trucks and have it last a season? I had a tailgate single stage spreader but its junk, and the ol' Armstrong method of spreading sand is getting real old mighty quick. Next year, its either get a v-box or farm the sanding out but Id like to see how to make one work on a pickup first.<p>Bill

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

You can get a v-box no problem. I would add some extra leaf springs. I ran a v-box in a 250 pick up for a month, after my f 350 was in the body shop for a month. The 250 handled the load fine, and it plow 5 storms in a month. I didn't get the 3 yard of sand and salt that the 350 dump got, but it did the job. Just remember the sand/salt weighs a lot more than pure salt. Anyways get the v-box, add some extra springs, and get some extension mirrors, basket ball hoops pop up out of blue some how sometimes.<p>Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I know what you mean,the weght we add to our trucks adds up quick.I have a bradford SS sander,it holds .9 yd.My 1989Gmc 2500LD 4x4 weghs 4690lbs.With my 7.5 fisherMM and myself it goes to 5800.My sander is small,so it is only 400lbs wet.My GVWR is 7200.So you can see that I have only 1000 lbs of payload to work with legally.I can get 2 1/2 scoops from my 1910 fords' loader in the sander.I know from past use that the max it can lift is 1050lbs.So I guesstimate that I'm putting in about 2000-2500 lbs of sand/salt when I heap it with a full yard.I am probably around 8500 but I've never weighed loaded.Just go slow,leave lots of room,and I keep my rear brakes in perfect adjustment so I have full stopping power at rear.I also use 245/74/16 E load range tires(It had D on it stock)It handles the weight like a champ and I drop almost 1/2 my mix within 2 miles of my loading area-then I'm fine.I think all of the 1ton and down trucks are overloaded if they have a v-box full and a plow.Sand is heavy!Even the DOT single axle trucks are all overloaded,they heap those things and the ones with wings and v-box weigh alot.An F-550 dump 4x4 would be ideal if money were no object,but it is,and it's to big and slow to do my accounts.Hey lawn guy I also have a dodge/cummins xcab 4x4 2500.Its payload is terrible,It weighs 7110 with me in it,full of fuel,-gvwr is 8800.My LD GMC can haul more,so gvw isnt everything.Ford F250 SD has same problem.I think a 1ton srw SD or GM will work with a sander ok,but you will be close when full.I personally wouldnt let anyone else drive my loaded truck-just incase they were going a bit to fast or abusing truck,so If you would be,you might think of subbing it out to save greif and possible legal hassles.You'd be giving up a lot of money though-especially now,it seems like we get ice more than snow last few years.Good luck(sorry I made it a book) John D<p>----------<br>John D<br>

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Don't worry about writing a book i have done it myself. I don't know if you were responding to me or someone else on sanding. My 350 got recked when someone ran a red light in a GMC 3500 with v-plow, just guess what happened to my truck. If gmc didn't hit the front tire, i might have had a dead driver. Anyways life goes on, i can't sub out my sanding opperation. I have never had one of my trucks in a accident yet, one or two have gone of the road but no damage. Anyways i have 14 plow trucks, and 4 with sanders i have to have someone else drive my trucks. I have a sander on my F 650, F 550 and 2 F 350s with sander. <p>I had a F 350 SD full on sand and salt mix and it wasn't overloaded. I think it has a pay load of 3500. I know the 250 HD had one of almost 4000.<p>I wanted to put the sander out of the 350 on my F 450. Only that truck had too much work lined up for it . The 250 HD did a good job with the sander, i would think you could put a sander in the dodge.<p>Geoff<br>

5. John DiMartino

Hi Geoff, Iwas responding to the lawn guys original post.It sounds like you run a 1st class operation.<p>----------<br>John D<br>

6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

For the reasons mentioned here, that is why truck manufacturers are making light duty trucks with higher gvw's. IE: 450/550 from ford and the soon to be released Heavy Duties from GM. <br>My k3500 cab chassis has a gvw of 12000#<br>The truck, body, plow,me and spreader weigh 11,800, so I can legally put 200# in the sprader. I load it up and I am around 15000#<br>The truck does fine, fortunatly DOT isnt out in snow storms. The truck makers all build fail safes inti the units when they design them. They know that at one time or another the owner will over work the truck and they design that into the unit. <br>Drive smart,load reasonably, and you will be fine.<br>We also have a chevy 3/4 ton p/u with an airflow spreader, and we added load boosters to the rear and that helped alot. And much cheaper than installing new springs, plus they dont hurt the ride quality when empty.AW Direct has them for about 150$. Their # is 1-800-243-3194 part # TLB 307 for a 3/4 ton or opt for the extra beef and get the TLB 305 for a one ton, those are about 207$<br>Geoff got to hate those damn Gm owners<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org<br>

7. John DiMartino

Hey,Dino I thought I was overloading my truck,but you've got me beat hands down!Your truck must be optioned out to weigh that much.The base models with small V8 are much better for work purposes,they sometimes weigh 1000 or so less and the front ends last longer along with brakes and tires because of the weight difference.I bet ther isn't much that will stop your truck,Dino!Do you plow in 2wd,except for severe conditions?I do with no problems.Aviod the DOT and go slow and all will be fine. John D<p>----------<br>John D<br>

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I dont load the truck to the top when I am plowing, so I am usually in the 14000# range. I use 4x4 very little, but nice when I do use it. The truck has a 12000# option, and I cranked the front torsion bars up, to help with the plow.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

9. paddy

paddy LawnSite Member

i can't comment on the V-box spreader. i have a chevy 1500 2wd. 5.0 , i have about 400 # of sand in the back + a big camper top. It helps a lot in the snow and ice. I try not to accelerate hard from a dead stop, when i see a stop light even a qauter mile away, i slow down now, so i'm still rolling when it turns green and i don't have to start from nothing. since i'm braking over more time its easier on my brakes too. Just something you might want to try

10. John DiMartino

Dino,I just seen the pic of your rig,no wonder your so overloaded!That toolbox is huge!It must be a bear to manuever with,and rear visability must be bad too.I'd hate to have to plow with that big a truck,you must do large spots only.I used to use an old chevy like that with 12ft stake body and airflow sander and the westcoast mirrors were always iced up and you couldn't see,My neck was shot at the end of storm,I couldn't take it anymore so I went on my own (with a little help)and 2 trucks and haven't regretted it.I bet you have a ton of tools and spare parts in that big toobox Dino,I would. John D<p>----------<br>John D<br>