v plow question

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Foster, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

Howdy, we've got a Boss v-plow. I am dissapointed at how close the center pivot is to the ground. I am only able to get 3/8 to 1/2 inch of wear on my cutting edge and I'm up to the center shoe. The place I bought it from said we needed to raise the mounting bracket on the pickup, which will lift the blade (mabey I should say tilt the blade) to get more use of the cutting edge. After some disscussion, he fessed up and said they take off the center shoe! Now the pivot is right on the ground. Do other v-plows have the same problem? I'm very close to getting rid of this plow. Foster

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If I remember right, my fisher v-plows center pivtiot is like 3" or more off the ground. Just another benefit to having a trip edge v-plow, over a whole blade trip. I would go out and check but all my plows are at the shop and I am at home.

Geoff

3. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

No this is not right,if your cutting edge ids the proper one you should be getting about four inches of good edge.How far is your mount off the ground? If i remember correctly I think 17"to 18" is the proper height.When you have this set sometimes a steel shim needs to be placed between trip return stop on the piviot post and the main push beam.This will adjust your blade to be sure your cutting edge sits flat on the ground.If you have more trouble E-mail me your phone number at coopdigs@ecity.net and I can call you and try to help you out.

4. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

diggerman... just talked to a sno boss rep. He said that the model we have is flawed. They have since come out with a newer model(probably a month after my purchase)and we are S.O.L. I asked him if we could get a cutting edge that is 8" tall instead of 6 and he said he'll ask his designers about it. I'm torqued... foster

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Boss made 3 basic face designs and 3 basic hook-up designs.

How old is your plow?

6. diggerman

from Iowa

First of all if the plow is flawed you are talking to the wrong guy,you need to talk to a guy name Jody Christy at MJ electric in Iron mountain Mich.I have his number just not here.He is the tech guy for Boss at the factory call him and see really whats up.He can most likly tell you a solution.If he isn't there ask for someone else in tech support,you should be able to get a number through imformation.

7. Foster

Foster LawnSite Member

I purchased the plow in october of 1997. It is called the rapid tach II. 8'2" blade.

8. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Consider a urethane edge - I believe they are taller than the 6" steel edges that the factory use. Don't know for sure: Dino??

9. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

That perticular model was the 2nd generation V-Boss (both the face and the hook-up)

You should have 3-4" height (new set of cutter edges) between the bottom of the hinge and the ground.

The bracket on your truck doesn't have a lot of room to move or else the cutter edges won't touch in all positions.

10. diggerman

from Iowa

What is this blade mounted on and how far is the mount bracket of the ground when the truck is sitting bare.