V plow vs Single blade with rear plow

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by AB Lawn Care, Oct 7, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Which set up would be cheaper and which would be faster?Anyone have any ideas?

2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

V plow would be cheaper, and unless you have a ton of back dragging to do, almost as fast.
    In forward mode the v plow will rock all comers.And with dbl acting cylinders or cylinder locks, they will back drag fine.
    Dino

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course you get BOTH. The increased production will pay for the additional equipment in the first season, future seasons will enjoy increased profits.

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If your a 1 or 2 man show. V plows are the only way to go. However if you are running multiple trucks, there are some jobs streight blades work well on. Granted over the next couple years i will have more v plows. Last year i had 2 fisher v plows bought in 97 when they first came out. However i didn't buy any till this year when i bough 2 9.5' fisher v plows this year. All of my residential driveways are done with streight blades, the reason is, they work well in this application. There are only a few residentials that i have that the v-plow would save time.

Geoff

5. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow LawnSite Member

We have one V-plow in our fleet. But I am thinking of purchusing another for our 2wd Cab-over. I would work great in alot of our Commerical Accounts.

6. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

V plow - all the way.

7. Ed Altheide

Ed Altheide LawnSite Member
    from IA

I agree with Lazer. A front plow with $200 dollar pro wings
    and a back plow would be the most efficient. I have asked
    snowplowers in the Grand Rapids area that own both straight blades w/pro wings and V plows...they say that the straight blades with pro wings carries the larger load. Has anyone else had this same comparison?

With the back plow you'll be carrying a second load across the lot and scraping cleaner(hydraulic down pressure)as you go ...requiring less de-icing material. You will also eliminate all your time consuming back dragging and turn around time.

Good Luck with your decision!

Ed Altheide
    http://www.snowmansnowplow.com

8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Ed,

This doesn't make sense to me.

"With the back plow you'll be carrying a second load across the lot and scraping cleaner(hydraulic down pressure)as you go ...requiring less de-icing material."

Two things come to mind.
    1. Doing a lot, the front blade would scrape clean, or almost clean.

2. With the rear plow down, you'd leave a "trail off" trail, or even 2 trails if you kept the rear plow in the straight position.

It sounds like using a rear plow on a lot with a front plow, would make a mess. Having never used the 2 together, I can't say for sure, just a feeling I have. Not only that, but you'd wear out 2 cutting edges at the same time.

I have a feeling that the "load" in front of the rear plow would be lost to trail off on every pass. Now a set of wings on a rear plow, well, that sounds like it would work for doing lots. At least the wings would help stop trail off.

~Chuck

9. Ed Altheide

Ed Altheide LawnSite Member
    from IA

Chuck,

A front plow is going to carry one load across the lot. When using a front/back plow combination the same truck will carry two loads across the lot.

The best example of scraping cleaner that I have is a Super Wal-Mart we contract with. These lots have traffic on them 24 hours/day and the snow tends to get packed. Our front plows won't pick up the packed snow and ice. We use the back plow with 1280# hydraulic down pressure at the cutting edge and get a much cleaner surface. It's the same concept as the state DOT trucks with the belly scrapers.

We're in the third year contract with Wal-Mart. At the time of acceptance they stated that we were significantly higher than the other bids but retained us because of the quality of service we are able to provide.

Ed

10. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Ed,

You still didn't say if trail off occurs. It seems to me since it does with a front plow in a straight position, it would with a rear plow in a straight position.
    Am I wrong?
    Do you have rear plows that can be angled?

~Chuck