V Plow-Western

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by cowboy, Nov 26, 2000.

1. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone, hope you got some snow last night, wish I was starting this year snowed last night -:)

Well looking at differnt plow companies sites.

Few Questions-
    Is a V plow worth the extra 700 dollars?
    How is western as a company/plow, anybody have their MVP V-Plow?
    Where are they made?

Also, looking at the scoop acation looks like you could plow a driveway straight in then scoop up the snow and back it out? Anyone ever done this?

Thanks for your help in advance,

-Adam

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

The western V-plow is made side by side with the Fisher V-Plow in Rockland Maine.

As for the extra 700 dollars, it is worth every penny. If you are a 1 truck opperation a v-plow is a must.

Geoff

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Cowboy... I was just about to ask that very same question. I am thinking of adding a F350 Reg. Cab Super Duty, and the V-plow is starting to sound like a good idea.

4. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

V plows are the only way to go, the increased productivity as well as the quality of job you are able to do are hard to beat. We currently have V's on 2 of our trucks and are able to do what it would take three trucks to do. We will be putting urethane edges on both of them this week providing they arrive. You will need at least a heavy 3/4 ton truck to carry the extra weight and we have added timbren load boosters to our 3/4 ton and 1 ton. Dino has a western mvp and I am sure he will provide some info. on that, both of ours are fisher and we are very happy with both.

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

...and that was gonna be my next question... if you could use urethane edges on them. Thanks!

-Tim

6. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

what about using it as kind of a front -end loader? any of you guys tried that?

If it worked good would make driveways a lot easier

-Adam

7. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Do you mean useing the V-Plow as a loader? They can't do what a loader can do.

Or do you mean useing a loader to plow driveways? I Used a backhoe to plow driveways one year. It works fine, but is more expensive than a truck.

Geoff

8. cowboy

cowboy LawnSite Member

The Western MVP plow can go into a scoop position and snow can then be carried with it, atleast that is what is says on their website. Just wondering if when plowing a driveway if you could plow and pickup up snow, or would it not save anytime over backdragging.

thanks for the help

-Adam

9. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Well when useing the scoop position, the plow must stay on the ground to carry it. What it allows you to do, is move snow from one area to the other. You can't scoop up some snow with the v-plow then raise the plow and drive off some place, like you can with a loader.

I know in some applications, unless you have a pull plow, or a C-Plow made by Hinker ( i think thats the right spelling), then you will still have to do some back dragging. Buying a v-plow will not elliminate back dragging, but will make it easier.

Geoff

10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I have a western mvp, and with the new accounts I signed this week will be adding another one, to a another truck that I have an option on.
    I love them, and will but another new straight plow again.
    Dino