1. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Bought a Western V-plow on monday and just used it for the first time today, and it don't seem like it works the way it should. Should both sides open and close at the same time, I mean reach the end of it's travel at the same point? One side always seems to take longer. Another thing, pushing 12" of wet snow, at the end of the run when I pile it up, one side of the plow will give if at an angle. In other words one side of the blade moves from the impact. And I'm not hitting all that hard either. I never used a V-plow before, does this sound like it's out of wack to you guys? And should I take it back or is there an adjustment I can do? I'm gonna look over the book for it to but thought I would ask you guys about it also. Thanks......Kraco_1

2. Plowboy

Plowboy LawnSite Member

I have used boss and hiniker v plows. both always had one wing that would retract or extend faster than the other. I figured that this was due to the fact that all springs don't have the same amount of resistance, and the amount of friction in the pivots.

When the plow retracts under a load it is merely saving you from a bent plow or A frame. the only time it is a problem is when you are pushing in the scoop or angle position and it retracts before you hit something solid, like a snow pile. All plows will creep back to the v position during extended use due to the oil working against the reliefs as you plow. By creep I mean one to two inches in several pushes. Relieving when pushing up a pile of snow is normal though

I wouldn't worry unless it is really floppy, like it won't stay angled one way or another while plowing.

sounds normal to me Reliefs can be tightend, but most dealers won't do it till you are out of waranty. (see also straightening truck and plow frames.g

3. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I always thought that you were supposed to only move one wing at a time... or maybe I read your post wrong... never mind.

-Tim

4. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

The western will move both wings forward at the same time, and retract them at the same time. The blade retracting from the scoop position is a safety feature, however it shouldnt move that easily. FWIW I dont go into piles in the scoop, I retract back to straight and then stack.
    There is an adjustment for that feature, I would go to the dealer and have them adjust it.
    Dino

5. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Ok thanks guys, I guess I was worried for nothing and this is normal for these plows. I will say other then that it's a great plow and does a great job. My old Western plow wouldn't have made it trough some of the stuff I went trough with the V-plow. I'm still a little slow with the hand controller. But I think I'll like that to when I get used to it. Anyway, thanks again. Kraco_1

6. npalomba

npalomba LawnSite Member

Great to hear that you do like it. I just ordered one myself.

7. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Dino - I'd like to read your thoughts on not going into the pile in the scoop position. We do it all the time, and end up with 7 FOOT PILES (sorry for the punniness). We ust hit the hoist and be careful to not launch ourselves up the bank 'till we're stuck, but other than that, I see no problem.

Thx

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Kraco 1, the three Boss V's all do the same thing as yours, and give it a little time to get used to the controller. My first night was a pain, but after that I loved it. Now the only thing that will beat a V is a loader and ProTech.

9. Kraco_1

Kraco_1 LawnSite Member

Mark Oomkes, yeah I think so to. I guess it's like any thing else new, until you get used to it your not sure you like it. But I'm sure it's better then the dash mount once you do......Kraco_1

10. Dockboy

Dockboy LawnSite Member

Kraco 1,

Don't worry. My Western does the same thing. The drivers side wing is just slightly slower than the passenger side. Mine does not move the when I hit a pile though. Then again, I would only see it if I was watching the plow edge markers, because I can barely see my plow.

Greg